Exaltation Degrees

Let's connect the earth with the stars and share questions and insights on our favourite topic: Astrology!
Maurice

Site Admin
Full Name: Maurice Fernandez

Exaltation Degrees

Postby Maurice » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:53 am

Modern Astrologers tend to refute them, Traditional Astrologers are usually adamant about them, what is your view and experience of Exalted and Fall degrees in the zodiac?

Maurice

Site Admin

Re: Exaltation Degrees

Postby Maurice » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:41 am

Maurice Fernandez
I personally think this is a matter of interpretation...in other words the terms 'exaltation' and 'fall' can be misleading as invariably good or bad... I believe these degrees are highlighting the force of the planet, but this can be a good or a bad thing. For example a 27 Capricorn Mars can end up a bully.
Conversely, I have seen quite a few successful athletes with Mars in Cancer (considered fall in the whole sign of Cancer)

Ezequiel Sanchez
You are right about the athletes. For example, Messi and Maradona, football players, have Mars in Cancer. In addittion, they have Mercury retrograde.

Paetra Tauchert
I never realized that the exaltations and falls had a specific degree.

Maurice Fernandez
Noone really knows the source of this information and concept, but worth the observation

Ezequiel Sanchez
In a webinar, Robert Hand explains the logic underneath the exaltations. It might look ramdom, but there's a logic. Also, a spanish astrologer (Rafael Gil) has presented an idea that the degrees are related to the "divine proportions"

Mike McCabe
I've seen the Sun degree for years (I probably remember because my Son is 19 01), but I think the others are new to me.

Victoria Schneider
I tend not to use them....but every now and again, an article about dignities, resurrects my interest....I'd need to really pay attention and study or do a little survey with my clients charts to ascertain for myself whether or not exaltations, detriments and falls make a huge difference...I'm sure many, many astrologers use them and would argue that they in fact, DO make an interpretive difference.

Chris Flisher
I generally like these points. You are right Maurice we don't really know where they came from. Perhaps Lilly. But I do like them and I see good things happening in an around those points. Natal charts with planets at those points tend to be highlighted and a large part of the personality of the individual.

Marcia Butchart ·
I had not considered the degrees of exaltation/fall much until I heard a lecture by Moses Siregar at The Blast in 2008. He was using them to evaluate relocation charts. His take: if a particular planet (say, Jupiter) is in less-than-great shape in your natal chart, and you move to a locale that has 15 Cancer on any angle, that will bring all His problematic manifestations to the fore as surely as if you had relocated to a place with Jupiter on an angle.

Ezequiel Sanchez
Well, exaltation is a dignity: dignified planets work in the way they are supposed to work, according to their own nature. Exaltation, as I understand it, makes the planet works with an increased amount of energy, but also intermittently. For example, Mars is exalted in Capricorn: this earthy sign intensifies the dry nature of Mars, making it more autonomous, self-sufficient, drived to work alone, but reduces the hot nature: makes Mars more concentrated. The exaltation part comes here: in its domicile (Aries/Scorpio), Mars will always behave the same way: his behaviour is predictable. But Mars in its exaltation, varies: he has peaks of energy, and moments of zero energy.

Kathryn Andren
In general, I don't use them in my current practice, but the discussion certainly inspires me to learn more!

Donna M Young
I look at the essential dignities and debilities of the planets, but for exaltation and fall only by sign - not these specific degrees. And I would agree with Maurice that these placements don't necessarily tell us whether the the outcome is positive ...See More

Lillian Bennett
I am beginning to look at essential dignities, term and face. I haven't seen these degrees called out before.
My understanding is that exaltation lends strength to a planet, and reliable influence. This can be good with the right combination of planets, or devastating, if the planets aren't well disposed.

Marc Goldberg
Donna that's exactly how I see it ... "in terms of social expectations"
April 8 at 3:09am · Like · 1

William Sebrans
Seems to me that the truth lies in shades and hues, and even then that may not always be true. Either/ors tend to be outmoded.
Yet, these points were arrived at through some cogent understanding, perhaps in ways we know not of now. I prefer to look at them as having some truth that blends with others.
Good traditional, medical and horary astrologers I know find the exaltations and debilities, not only useful but essential. Don't know about the specific degree.

Maurice

Site Admin

Postby Maurice » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 am

by Robert Corre
The topic of planetary dignities in not well understood today, primarily for two reasons: first is an understanding of ethics and morals in times past versus today, and how these relate to a person born under a given time, place, and social/cultural circumstance; and second, how to approach an understanding of the planetary dignities.
The basic idea is that depending on the sign in which a planet is posited, it can express a range of quality from subtle or “spiritual” to crude and materialistic. But to gain a sense of a planet placed in any sign other than its “domicile”, the first step is to get a feeling of what the planet means to be in its domicile. Domicile means that it is placed in the sign over which it is said to rule. For example, the Sun/Leo is said to be in its domicile; it is as if the Sun would be conjunct the Sun. To understand what the meaning of the Sun placed in any other sign requires that you first have a sense of what it means in its domicile.
A planet in its domicile means that its influence, potency, durability, and stability are maintained lifelong. When the Sun would be placed in any of the other 12 signs, it means that it is at the disposal of another planet in time. For example, the Sun/Aries is at the disposal of Mars, it serves Mars’s purpose. All other considerations aside, a planet in domicile has independence as it does not serve another. Accidental factors such as aspects received can greatly condition a planet’s placement in a sign.
The integrity or corruptibility of a planet’s influence is greatly conditioned when found in the various dignities of triplicity, fall, peregrine, detriment, or exaltation.
For example, when a planet is said to be exalted, it means that the sign in which it is posited permits the planet’s intrinsic nature to come out in its purity. So Sun/Aries through the nature of Mars, permits the Sun to have the strongest expression to execute its will or volition. But exaltation does not guarantee permanency or maintenance of supremacy. Exaltation thrusts a person into a peerless position, but not necessarily permanence. And the Sun’s expression would vary based on its placement in another of the other signs.
Planetary dignity is only one-half of a consideration when examining a planet in a sign, this is a qualitative consideration. The other consideration as important if not more so is quantitative; that is, where is the planet found and how is it related to other planets? First, is the planet placed in an angular, succedant, or cadent house? This is very important and must always be considered along with an understanding of the quality. A planet is always studied both in terms of quality and quantity.

Oh, I see also you ask specifically about a planet in fall. A planet posited in the planetary dignity termed fall is said to be "powerless." It's much like a vanquished enemy, knees broken, and in chains brought before the victor. When a planet is in fall, it means that there is no cooperation between the planet and it dispositor; the planet is not able to bring out the goals of the sign in which it is placed and the sign does not permit the planet to bring out its basic nature in a constructive way. For example, a planet that is used to measure and compare, as Mercury, but in Pisces, its fall, by this consideration alone takes away from practicality and logic which can work against a business approach. On the other hand, it makes for a good story teller, writer, and compassionate approach through placement in a water sign.

I see that the question is about a planet having an exaltation in a particular degree of a sign. In these modern times, in today's Internet world where for most human beings, the only values are money and sex, there is an almost complete lack of appreciation that we are all subordinated to higher laws. And to say that a person would be sensitive to a particular degree of a planet in a sign is a joke. It is very unusual that people even have an appreciation for the value of planetary dignities, let alone to a particular degree, As a human being living in these times, in a "civilized world", for the most part, we have lost our instincts. For most, the sensitivity for higher forces, forces greater then ourselves has been lost. Today's generation worldwide has been lost to the iphone. For all the benefits it has brought, the downside, it that these devices have trained today's youth to be incapable of being just with themselves. The addiction to be connected does not allow them to concentrate on their own inner life... This is a long discussion and actually tangent to the issue of dignity.

Maurice

Site Admin

Postby Maurice » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:27 am

What do these exaltation signs and degrees really mean and highlight?
From online Astrology Dictionary
According to the 7th century astrologer Rhetorius of Egypt, the exaltations are auspicious placements for the planets because the domicile lord of that sign interacts particularly well with the planet that has its exaltation in the sign.
Does a planet on an exalted degree bring favorable results, or is it empowering the planet, for better and worse?

Here are some chart examples to confuse us a bit more...

Beginning of World War II

Kurt Cobain - music genius, with Venus on exaltation degree

Brigitte Bardot - Sex symbol and great beauty with Venus in fall sign, close to fall degree

Edward Snowden with Saturn in exaltation sign, close to degree - QUestioning of ethics, governmental misuse of power, political justice

Britney Spears, Saturn exalted close to exaltation degree - Ethical? Mature? Just?

Marilyn Manson - Saturn in Fall sign, close to fall degree. Anti-social behavior, satanic symbolism

Return to “%s” Astrology Discussions