Therapeutic Astrology

Let's connect the earth with the stars and share questions and insights on our favourite topic: Astrology!
adeclerck

OPA supporter
Full Name: Aubrie De Clerck

Therapeutic Astrology

Postby adeclerck » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi all - I really enjoyed the talk by Mark Jones on therapeutic astrology this month. I imagine many of us are practicing this type of relating with clients and I thought we could dedicate a conversation to our experiences and questions What do you think? Aubrie

Kathryn Andren

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kathryn Andren

Re: Therapeutic Astrology

Postby Kathryn Andren » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 am

I remember one of the highlights of the discussion with Mark Jones was when someone approaches you for an astrology reading, in essence they are saying, I could use some help. As astrologers, we are offering a specialized service to our clients. It is important to keep in mind someone is asking us for help when we are approached for a reading. Humility and sensitivity is required. Listening first to the clients needs and desire around why they want the session is very important to guide and direct the session content.
Kathryn Andren, Astrologer, Artist & Intuitive
Consciously Create Your World
http://www.kathrynandren.com

Judy Tsafrir

OPA supporter
Full Name: Judy Tsafrir

Postby Judy Tsafrir » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:13 am

When a new patient comes to see me in my psychiatry practice, I always want to know, "Why now?" The answer to those two words often contains important information. There is as big a resistance to overcome to cross the threshold of a psychiatrist's office as an astrologer's. Sometimes a person's conscious motivation to see you is different than their unconscious motivation. This is often only revealed in time. As an astrologer, you don't have so much leisure to figure it out, because it's often a one shot deal. Looking at the transits in combination with the client's conscious rationale regarding seeking a reading, can be helpful in sorting out what is at the heart of the matter. It seems important both to attend to the client's expressed wish in terms of what they were looking for, but also perhaps to tune into something that is driving them, but of which they are less aware. I like the idea of addressing a client holistically, making sure to include consideration of body, mind, feelings and spirit, relationship with self and others, family, community, love, work and play. It's a lot to attend to in one reading, and perhaps not achievable, but to have as a template.

adeclerck

OPA supporter

Postby adeclerck » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:31 pm

I remember one of the highlights of the discussion with Mark Jones was when someone approaches you for an astrology reading, in essence they are saying, I could use some help. As astrologers, we are offering a specialized service to our clients. It is important to keep in mind someone is asking us for help when we are approached for a reading. Humility and sensitivity is required. Listening first to the clients needs and desire around why they want the session is very important to guide and direct the session content.
Yes, such an important reminder to be responsive to the client, let them be the guide. Mark mentioned the simple idea of asking the client what they want to be very effective strategy. I imagine doing that in any client information form upfront and also at the beginning of a reading could be useful (as it might have changed between the time the appointment was made and when the reading happens).

Do you have tools, language or ways of remembering a client-first focus?

adeclerck

OPA supporter

Postby adeclerck » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 pm

When a new patient comes to see me in my psychiatry practice, I always want to know, "Why now?" The answer to those two words often contains important information. There is as big a resistance to overcome to cross the threshold of a psychiatrist's office as an astrologer's. Sometimes a person's conscious motivation to see you is different than their unconscious motivation. This is often only revealed in time. As an astrologer, you don't have so much leisure to figure it out, because it's often a one shot deal. Looking at the transits in combination with the client's conscious rationale regarding seeking a reading, can be helpful in sorting out what is at the heart of the matter. It seems important both to attend to the client's expressed wish in terms of what they were looking for, but also perhaps to tune into something that is driving them, but of which they are less aware. I like the idea of addressing a client holistically, making sure to include consideration of body, mind, feelings and spirit, relationship with self and others, family, community, love, work and play. It's a lot to attend to in one reading, and perhaps not achievable, but to have as a template.
Oh wow, yes - unconscious motivation is really intriguing. I hadn't thought about that in the context of a reading outside of what I might pick up intuitively or through body language. I love the idea of making room for that. Transits sound like a terrific place to start with that curiosity. I'm also wondering about the progressed lunation cycle - that could also be a good astrological tool to inquire/make room for the unspoken.

I think being open to the tall order of holistic readings is important in and of itself, whether it gets addressed or attended to in the reading directly or not. The willingness to go to any of those places the client directs us is something the client will pick up on I think.

Judy Tsafrir

OPA supporter
Full Name: Judy Tsafrir

Postby Judy Tsafrir » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I think the progressed lunation cycle is a really great idea of a place to keep in mind. The moon is so utterly personal and intimate and so linked with the unconscious. Thank you for suggesting it. I always look at the progressed moon, but recently have become more aware of the whole cycle, and it's meaningful. For instance, I am in a the balsamic phase of the progressed lunar cycle. I am also in the midst of my Second Saturn Return and it just feels like the dark of the moon, a time where things are gestating, before giving birth to the next phase. I recently had a reading with Emily Trinkaus who has the website Virgo Magic. She started the whole reading with that observation, of where I am in my progressed lunar cycle and her interpretation of its meaning. Its what meant really the most to me of the whole reading, which was a wonderful reading. It captured the essence of my emotional condition. So, yes, I agree, and plan to be more mindful about it, going forward.

adeclerck

OPA supporter

Postby adeclerck » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:28 pm

I think the progressed lunation cycle is a really great idea of a place to keep in mind. The moon is so utterly personal and intimate and so linked with the unconscious. Thank you for suggesting it. I always look at the progressed moon, but recently have become more aware of the whole cycle, and it's meaningful. For instance, I am in a the balsamic phase of the progressed lunar cycle. I am also in the midst of my Second Saturn Return and it just feels like the dark of the moon, a time where things are gestating, before giving birth to the next phase. I recently had a reading with Emily Trinkaus who has the website Virgo Magic. She started the whole reading with that observation, of where I am in my progressed lunar cycle and her interpretation of its meaning. Its what meant really the most to me of the whole reading, which was a wonderful reading. It captured the essence of my emotional condition. So, yes, I agree, and plan to be more mindful about it, going forward.
I am also in the progressed Balsamic phase! I am Gibbous natally, so this has been a very different feeling for me. With having your Saturn Return it sounds like a very reflective time. What is your moon phase natally?

I know Emily well, she was my teacher. :) I went through her apprenticeship program in 2011. I'm so glad you had a wonderful reading with her, and that it was helpful. I love her work so much.

Return to “%s” Astrology Discussions