New Moon in Leo (2nd): Legalities of Astrology

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Geoff Gronlund

OPA supporter
Full Name: Geoff Gronlund

New Moon in Leo (2nd): Legalities of Astrology

Postby Geoff Gronlund » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:16 pm

What legal and/or liability issues have you encountered or could you foresee encountering as an Astrologer?

Do you have any legal and/or liability framework in place for your practice of Astrology?

Kim de Noüe

I live in the Boulder, CO area, which is very liberal, so I do not worry too much about liability insurance, but am also very conscious about what I say to clients. I don't speak in absolutes about what "will" happen, for example. I try to always help the client recognize the opportunities in any situation so they can make the best of it. That said, despite my optimism, it might be a good idea to have some sort of legal liability framework in place. Looking forward to hearing how others have handled this issue.

June Morrow

I had a situation a few years ago where had info about one of my clients from several other clients who knew this person. I was at sea as to what to do with the info—I should mention that my suspicions were similar to what I was told. I contacted two lawyers as to what to do and was told that, as an Astrologer, I would be laughed out of police and/or FBI offices. The attorneys also told me to stay as far away from this person as possible. I also sought advice from an ethics person in Astrology and was told, basically, the same thing. It was really frustrating.

I was seeing a therapist at the time and told her what was going on and my psychologist knew the name of the person. I was told by the psychologist that with the ethics and laws that psychologists had to adhere to, the person would have to be reported. I was relieved that it was out of my hands.

This was the first time I was ever so close to nefarious doings of a client. The hard part, of course, was knowing something and not being able to do anything about it. And it's unfortunate that when we, as Astrologers, find out something about a client that can be severely detrimental to citizens we have no credibility in the eyes of any legal authority.

Needless to say, I haven't heard anything, nor looked for any news, about this client since.

Lutia Lausane

Yes, I do have liability insurance through my psychotherapy and spiritual direction work. I now call the work Evolutionary Astrology. My insurance covers clients I have seen for the past years and any new ones. I guess I’m lucky that way. I am very careful to follow a specific code of ethics, especially around explaining exactly what I do these days—not psychotherapy. I refer clients who require psychotherapy. There is some grey area around reporting abuse disclosure, especially toward children, but as of yet I haven’t taken any children in for Evolutionary Astrology. This may be an area OPA will one day want to address.

Lucia Lu Luyao

In China, a lot of things are in grey areas and it is sometimes up to the local government to decide if something is legal or not. If nobody reports me to the government (they may be jealous and if somebody got offended then he or she may do that) I will be just fine. In the city I now live in, I was surprised to see that there is a Chinese astrology store on the street and it has a big advertisement on it saying "if the prediction is not accurate we will return your money." Of course this is not legal but it is there. Our biggest problem now is with publishing and establishing legal association. Several years ago, it became more and more difficult to publish astrology books. And if we are not influential and not many people pay attention then the government will not pay attention to us. I doubt western astrology would be made legal here because it is a variety of different things. But is very funny that family constellation is legal under the name of psychology. China is such a magical country!

Donna Young

As a general statement, Canadians aren't as litigious as Americans, so it's not something I tend to worry about. I attempt to make it very clear what I can and cannot do, but this is more to prevent disappointment than liability. Most of my work is done online, and I do make sure I have the proper insurance in case someone slips on the ice when they come for a consultation.

Boaz Fyler

Never encountered any, thank god. I do not have any framework set and would like to know if there are any recommended suggestions. I do, however, record all my sessions, so if something does occur, god forbid, I always have the recording as a backup.

Kay Taylor

I haven’t encountered any issues in over 30 years of practice. I have a strong disclaimer on my booking site that goes out on every single confirmation for an appointment booking. I joined and support AFAN because of their history of supporting astrologers in legal issues, which I am grateful for.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month