New Moon In Cancer: Your practice

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Katerusko

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kate Rusko

New Moon In Cancer: Your practice

Postby Katerusko » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:37 pm

In an ideal world, how often would you like to see a client?
What would your practice look like?
Do you like to teach, or do you prefer to stick with counseling? Or is it the other way around for you?

Geoff Gronlund

OPA supporter
Full Name: Geoff Gronlund

Re: New Moon In Cancer: Your practice

Postby Geoff Gronlund » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Denise Grams

I have a full-time BodyTalk healing and counselling practice and I do some Astrology readings. Until 2014 I taught Astrology classes. I have researched and written a few articles in the past. I realized, after thinking a lot about your questions, that where my passion is is in research and teaching Astrology, which is probably why I don't attract Astrology clients as often as I'd like to.

It is a bit of a catch 22 because if I attracted more clients for Astrology I would need more time to spend on preparing the extra charts plus time for the actual reading. The down side is that it would mean I would have less time to commit to my clientele in my healing work, which I absolutely love. There is only so much time in a day and now that I am older (77 yrs.) I find that I don't have the amazing endurance I used to have!

Do you like to teach, or do you prefer to stick with counseling?
I love researching and teaching. I mostly use Evolutionary Astrology but am also very interested in Horary Astrology. I find in preparing for a reading my initial focus is in looking back to locate patterns I can find in cycles, eclipses, and retrogrades, then moving forward to connecting anything relevant to present or future situations/issues the client is experiencing.

Thank you again for these questions. It brought a lot of clarity for me.

Tobias Cincarek

How often would you like to see clients?
Never or as often as I can.

I shall be at the top of a mountain in a small mountain hut offering free readings, analysis, and guidance once a week. Besides that, I shall have an office near a shrine or temple space in a crowded city. I shall broadly cover playful things, entertainment, scientific research, religious teachings, philosophical discussions, and astrological insights since you have to adapt yourself to the needs of the client and society.

Maybe both. In order to not forget the theory and to be able to practice. When you only practice everything becomes unconscious, when you only teach you are not aware of its practical value.

Brad Kochunas

Three to six weekly sessions to explore their specific issue; heating it up, letting it simmer, cooling it down again, giving the outcome a taste.

Therapeutic astrology looks a little like counseling but without the assessment, DX, and TX and a little like a reading but w/o the monologue. It's a dialogical exchange in a cooperative effort to explore the client's matte­r.

I like to teach but do not. I only see the occasional client face to face now. My preference is for the eConsult; a series of email exchanges over the course of a few weeks to a few months to prospect the client's concerns within an astrological perspective. Clients who blog, journal, or write find this contemplative approach to the chart creatively satisfying and helpful.

Laurie Farrington

Ideally, I would have a mix similar to what I currently have. Some clients I see very occasionally, most I see every six months (that is what I recommend to new clients), some I see every month (not my favorite).

Ideally, I would see 4 clients per day, 3 days per week. I would spend 2 days per week studying, writing, and working on business development. I currently see most of my clients via video conferencing and love the freedom and reach that allows. I would/will have virtual products available for a passive income source and a virtual assistant to keep me on track and assist with business visioning and development.

I like teaching one on one, where I can adapt lessons to the needs of the individual student. I no longer teach group classes. The easiest and most enjoyable part of my work are the simple consultations. However, I feel it is my responsibility to the future of our craft to teach. :)

Chris McRae

How often do you like to see clients, and how often should they repeat their visits?
I believe once a year is very important and works well for many clients. Some may come once a year for a long period of time and then only come every 2 or 3 years or when they feel a strong need. I do have some professional clients with circumstances that can arise every few months. They can afford the extra visits on that kind of a basis, along with an occasional Horary or Electional chart. I tell other clients that a yearly visit is excellent unless something unusual comes up requiring additional input from an astrologer. I believe that relying on others too often for decision making can dull their own intuitive perceptions, decision making, and the joy of the life process.

What would I like my practice to look like?
This is a very apt question for someone setting up their practice. I have been doing this professionally since 1970 and it has a shape. I see clients on a regular basis, I teach a 3-year semester-structured course two or three evenings a week, I lecture at conferences, I have authored and am working on another manuscript. I have also served on the Boards of AFA and AFAN Steering Committee, and the ISAR Board for over 16 years as Vice-President, Chair International Council, and Chair Certification Program. I believe it is important to stretch beyond the work we do in our office by getting involved with the astrological community and attending conferences to meet other astrologers and hear what they have to say about the work they do. I have been inspired by many and learned from so many, adding so much to my own knowledge and repertoire.

Alexandra Karacostas

These days I enjoy meeting with clients three days a week, though I am flexible and love my work. This leaves me time for the numerous other projects I am involved with, astrological and otherwise.

How often do you think we should see repeat clients?
Most of my clients see me once a year, though I have some that like to check in more than that, and others that come every couple of years. Generally, a once a year consultation is useful and valuable, in my opinion.

What would you like your practice to look like? Would it involve public speaking, teaching, or do you prefer to stick with counseling?
My preference is consulting with clients, though I do teach, offer workshops, and some public speaking engagements (which I am not crazy about). I also enjoy radio shows. I am on locally several times a year and nationally a few times a year. I would love to have extended time for research work and more writing. I trust and hope this will happen down the road a bit. I look forward to that period!

Margarita Logovatovskaya

I believe that every astrologer has their own individual line of destiny, and the thing that is good for one does not mean the same for another one. It is very favorable for me to develop in key individual consultations; this is easy for me. My Sun and Mars are in the 7th house, the house of consultations. Mars is responsible for the house of work - the 6th house and the 7th house. I really like to work in this direction. And, for example, my friend, an astrologer, develops within the organizations where he uses the skills of astrology. He was not sucsesfull in individual consultations. Therefore, knowing your drawing of the chart, you can deepen and expand your business in the right direction. Personally, I am interested in the development and deepening of my individual astrological consultations.

Yes, I would like clients to come back to me from time to time. And most of them do order new services. Some of the clients come once behind [sic] the natal chart, and I do not see them any more. I consider astrological consultations as a personal matter for every person, everything must come from the heart, no violence or coercion. Since the consultation is costly, it is necessary to take a break from work. We must skillfully distribute work and rest.

Anne Ortelee

I encourage clients to come whenever they would like to. I offer 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2 hour appointments. Clients self-schedule.

I encourage my clients to think of me as THEIR astrologer. And to use my astrology services as they feel the need... date selection, client issues, personnel issues, relationship questions, and charting the passages ahead. I have Pluto in the 7th house so my clients are often dealing with major transitions in their lives.

What would you like your practice to look like? Would it involve public speaking, teaching, or do you prefer to stick with counseling?
I do it all ~ counseling, teaching, public speaking, podcasts, articles, webinars, seminars, and workshops. Keeps me busy and happy.

Arlan Wise

Each astrologer has to decide what is comfortable for him or her when making these decisions. The beauty of working for yourself is that you can choose your schedule. I prefer to work in the mornings, although when the clients are in different countries, or even on the west coast, time is a major factor in the decision making.

I let clients choose how often they want to have a session. I stay aware if a client is becoming dependent on what I say and then try to discourage them from calling too often. When a new client asks how often he/she should come for a reading I suggest once a year around their birthday.

At this point I am happy with my practice, though I always like to see more clients as that is such a soul-satisfying experience for me. I have been working as a professional astrologer since 1978 and see how it has been a steady increase in clientele, teaching, writing, and reputation.

Donna Young

One a day is a good pace for me.

1-2x per year is normally a good routine, but it depends on how deep they want to go. I've seen people once/month if they want to get into the nitty gritty, but it also depends on what the purpose is. I discourage dependency.

I like a mix of all of these areas.

Linea Van Horn

Several days a week but not every day. I don’t do more than 2 or 3 sessions in a day b/c my voice wears out, and usually it is not that many anyway. I have learned to take Sundays off, holiday weekends, schedule in vacations and things of that sort. Otherwise it could be too intrusive. For the first time ever, I am booked out several weeks ahead. I find that I don’t want to do more than 7- 8 charts or so in a week. Some people I know see that many clients in a DAY but I’m not one of them! Thank goodness for the internet so you can still do client work without feeling the need to clean the bathroom.

I think we could see clients a lot more than we actually do. Therapists get people into their office once a week for months at a time! Our work is certainly rich enough to support that, between the depth of the natal chart and all the various timing techniques. Some might say we are not trained as therapists, but I would think that with clients who are in generally good mental and emotional health, astrology can be an incredibly healing medium. Anyway, a minimum of once a year and many consult more frequently than that. In my initial follow-up email to clients, I list the times when they might think about coming back. I’ll share it:
“Many clients wonder when it would be a good time to call again for another session. Astrology is a helpful tool when:

• You want to explore your chart more deeply, or inquire about specific areas such as family or children, health, work, creativity, emotional process, etc.
• It's your birthday! We'll do a Birthday reading to look ahead for the next year.
• You meet someone new or take an existing relationship to a new level.
• You have a baby, or want to improve your parenting by knowing your child's chart.
• An important decision looms, and you need insight.
• Timing an important event: surgery, opening or expanding a business, travel, moving house.
• You want a greater understanding of your life purpose.”

After many years, I would say I have an ideal practice for me. I am incredibly fortunate. I live in a dense urban very progressive area. This has permitted me to develop a solid client base which is constantly growing, thanks mostly to referrals. After twenty years, I am a very experienced teacher and have a very thorough curriculum. Correlated to teaching is the public speaking I do and the many presentations I’ve developed. I do some writing, too; I ghost write a monthly column for another astrologer and have had several articles published. Maybe I can cough out a book in the next year or two. I am so so fortunate that all of my life skills are brought together by astrology. I spend many hours every day doing various facets of my business and I could not be happier about it. Thanks for asking!

Cinderella Cat

I did not choose this field of astrology to make a lot of money, but rather because I just simply love it!

I have an intuitive gift into the understanding of people that only astrology gives me, the true understanding into the psyche of others, to reveal to others their true gifts, and also into the understanding of myself. I simply LOVE astrology!! You absolutely have to LOVE what you do to be a success!!

Yeah, it would be great to have 2-4 clients a week. I prefer counseling more than anything as an astrologer. My chart truly shows me in the helping fields!

Joyca McFaralne

I am happy at present to do 2-3 clients a week, this works for me...time to prepare. I like to spend quality time with these clients that have graced me with their presence.

My thoughts are 6 months to 1 year, depending what is presented in transits, and my client's needs.

I would like to teach those that are interested in learning about their birth chart (Beginners). This would help enlighten and pass on the ancient, evolutionary knowledge. I like to incorporate counseling. I am not qualified, so stick to my boundaries. I present information that the clients are easily able to understand.

Angela Tiki

First of all, since the beginning of my practice I realized that I couldn't handle more than two clients per day. The number within a month, however, varies; especially in periods of stressful transits I always have more appointments booked.

I see most of my clients twice a year but if there are important events in their life I see them more often. I think that once a year is good for an annual general guideline, but it is helpful to see them more than that if we want to keep up with the ongoing events. I had clients who were coming every month, but in some occasions it turned into a dependent relationship on the client's part, and so I had to cut down several meetings!

My practice also involves both teaching, writing, and public speaking, which I enjoy more than counseling, but interacting with clients is the best way to learn in practice and make our own research. To be honest, I enjoy that this profession can offer me the luxury to be flexible according to my needs.

Innessa Wuzyk

I am still getting my practice going. Ideally, I would like to see one client a week, but this is not happening yet. I need to put in hefty preparation time in order to deliver a reading that I feel good about. That is why I think more than one a week would compromise my quality of life. I am not financially dependent on astrology and I do plenty of other things. I am not interested in teaching, but I am very interested in astrology research, and I would like to do occasional public speaking on astrology research.

JoAnne Stoneberg

I would like to see clients at a minimum of 6 - 10 per week.

Once, maybe twice, a year is good. If, however, a client is going through a tough time and needs more guidance and extra support, within reason, maybe once a month or every second month. This would have to be monitored carefully so the client does not create a dependence on the astrologer and vice versa.

I do mostly counseling. And not only with Astrology but also reading the Tarot, Deep Memory Process(R), and Energy Healing work. I enjoy public speaking, which I am already doing. Public speaking helps me to really understand whatever topic I am speaking about. And to eventually do some teaching and/or workshops.

Rae Rutter

3 Days a week

Monthly

I would like my practice to involve teaching, speaking, and writing, as well as counseling.

Kim de Noüe

I would like to see clients every day, but that is not in place yet. I probably have five or six readings a month and several astrological pendant orders. I also teach a class every Wednesday night.

I think the frequency of repeat clients depends on what is going on in their lives. If a person is NOT in crisis, I think every six months to a year is good. If they have big decisions to make or other issues…health, relationships, etc., then more frequency can be good until the issues are settled.

I would like my practice to include teaching and public speaking. I am also working on a couple of special projects related to relationships - my specialty (I’m a Libra).

Ursula Stockder

I would love to have clients between 3 - 5 times a week, but no more, because I love doing many other things.

It depends on the client, some clients need more guidance, and later it is enough to see them once or twice a year.

I love seeing clients. Teaching and public speaking is very challenging, but it is great because you have to study and do a lot of research.

William Sebrans

It can be a challenge to embody and make practical any insights one gets from a reading of any kind without a "container" to hold them. In one ear and out the other is not atypical, with me as well on the receiving end and with a recording to return to. For this reason, and by reason of my own temperament and training as a coach/evocateur, I offer a package of 6 sessions after a foundational or transit reading to facilitate actual change and observable movement.

This frequency would be more than typical astrology interactions and less than the standard coaching agreement. None of us want to foster sideways dependency, nor do we want our work with people to dissipate for want of reliable follow-through. Hence, the balance I mentioned.

Nearly the last thing a person needs after a certain point is more astrology or more tarot, and the first thing is identifying the key takeaways from a reading along with a structure to make them come alive in action, or in some cases intentional non-action. As well, the container allows room for provocative questions, on both sides, to be explored that deepens the digestion and eventual shift. It's also more fun that way.

I am content with having 7 people committed to that process, in addition to the one-off readings, as I can give the best support to clearly aligned people and then also allow time for my other creative interests.

For the one-offers, maybe twice a year at most, if fine tuning is what's needed.

~~

By temperament, I am something of a communicative and curious ambivert. So, I like the intimate group teaching/coaching venue and am relatively suited for it in moderate doses. At now post-60, I will respond to the call but am less inclined or driven to be the active force.

Had I been as informed astrologically during the time I ran a SF Bay area technology search firm as I am now, it would have been definitely the thing to do to use it in a business context and hold study groups looking at the career and hiring process through the astrological and Human Design lenses.

Khatuna Noel

I would like to receive clients 3-4 days a week. It would be ideal for me, because the rest of the time I would be with my family members.

I think repeat clients are the indicator that the customers like your work. That is why their periodic returns are very desirable to us. But on the other hand, perhaps it is not good when someone is overly chained about something. So if we take the golden middle, perhaps the best option is that the client comes in every 2-3 months.

To have public speaking, or to teach students, an astrologer should have a great deal of experience. But we can get such experience only by studying a lot of charts, and the counseling definitely helps us. So I want to have a lot of practice to be able to explore other possibilities, too.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month