New Moon in Cancer: Astro lingo- to use or not to use?

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Katerusko

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kate Rusko

New Moon in Cancer: Astro lingo- to use or not to use?

Postby Katerusko » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Do you use Astro lingo during your reading consultations and what are your reasons for your choice of approach?
If you do, does it help you or the client?
If you don’t, do you find it challenging to translate symbols into common language?

Kim

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kim de Noüe

Re: New Moon in Cancer: Astro lingo- to use or not to use?

Postby Kim » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:27 pm

I do use "astrolingo" in my readings, because the people who come for readings are looking at the chart anyway, and unless I name and show the symbols or aspects in chart they may have no idea how to orient my words to the chart. Maybe this is just a personal preference, because as a client, I would want that information. It makes it more tangible to the client and illustrates that there is a technique for garnering the information we provide them. Even if it is too much for them to remember in detail, they tend to remember the things that are most significant and sometimes will call me back to ask for a follow-up based on an something named in the chart.

Finally, I think this also is of benefit to all of us as astrologers, as it demonstrates in a very personal way to each client the way the horoscope reflects their experience. For every person that can identify with this phenomenon, we have more support for our profession in the public arena.

Katerusko

OPA supporter

Postby Katerusko » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Anne Ortelee

Yes I use astrology words accompanied by an explanation or a metaphor.  I believe we should all learn our chart by age 5 like reading, writing and math. Using the terms familiarizes folks with the energy and helps my everyone learn goal happen. The terms and archetypes are thousands of years old so they have a cellular resonance. I translate quite a bit.  

Sue Minahan

With non-astrologers, I make a concentrated effort to talk in "lay terms", using analogies for description.
I have a few categories of subjects I find most people relate to -- but I love to discover new terms for connecting concepts.
It's exciting to be inspired by our interaction to express the situation or idea in terms that I realize they personally will interpret successfully -- and "get".

However, I've also learned to inquire if a person would like to learn a bit of the astrology, as we talk.  But, I make an effort to "tame" it -- because a little can go a long ways, and the goal is for the individual to grasp their life -- not necessarily astrology.  With that said, I find that I can discuss a planet, such as Uranus, or an aspect such as a square and translate some of the process of how astrology functions. 

If I do so, my intention is perhaps two-fold: one to slightly educate and expand the awareness of the individual, if the person is intrigued by the unknown (as they perceive it) and curious of how astrology could (possibly) operate.  To receptive minds and hearts or souls, I'm glad to present a few facts of how astrology follows a basis of "logic" or "structure" or "conceptual platforms".   It interests me to broaden their acceptance of astrology and possibly further their personal involvement connecting to astrology's interconnection with living and life.

The other is based on my own interest.  I personally like to have the professional people I contact to explain to me WHY something works.  And HOW it relates.  It furthers my comprehension to the source or depth or some reason, or, perhaps not. Because, on occasion if the details are too dry and intricate,  I might opt out and think -- ok, nope.  Not really needing all THAT information after-all:)  

And the person has that choice too.  So, I tread gently.  Or, I shall say, I try to maintain within some form of caution explaining things.  I figure it's like spices -- just make it tasty.

It's great fun to discuss astrology with astrologers and not only use lingo but expand on it or narrow it down and clarify it.
And then, there's those who totally are without need to know any terminology. That only is constricting if I am talking the theory of astrology -- not in relationship to their personal life, but because I have some great insight I desire to discuss about astrology, and am in the company of non-astrologers -- this is ultimately challenging.  I'm working on it:)

Lutia Lausane

I like to ground my discussion with clients in the actual chart (perhaps natal, perhaps natal and solar return, perhaps progressed, depending upon their concerns). I once had a client who is not an astrologer look at the chart and exclaim, well, it seems I really am incarnated! For language, I tend to turn to the archetypal energies as they interact, checking in to pick up the language used by the client. Too much astro-language can disempower a client I feel, for actually the real work after a reading needs to be done by the client.The stumbling block here seems to be the expectations of clients for timing predictions. These are valuable but also tricky—the old issue of fate and free-will, trust and control.. These issues loom in my own chart and I need to be careful to carry these energies without projecting them on my clients.  I look forward to answers to this question of other OPA members.

Dawn Glinski

I don't rely on heavy use of Astro lingo during my consultations, even if the client is familiar with the terminology. I find that the majority of my clients prefer simple terms that they can relate to. For example, when I say the word conjunction, I'll say right after, "meaning, next to" and people seem to appreciate the clarification. When I first heard an astrologer inform me that "my 7th house Mercury was trine to my 3rd house Capricorn Moon, I didn't know what the heck she was talking about; (It may as well have been a foreign language). I keep that experience in the back of my mind when talking to clients. I have also had people come to me after getting their natal chart interpreted, and ask me to re-interpret because they didn't understand what the last astrologer told them. This happens more often then not, and I have always welcomed the opportunity to validate what the last astrologer has said. The language of astrology can be intimidating to those who aren't familiar, and many feel embarrassed to ask questions; they don't know how much they should or shouldn't know. I feel that it's important to establish trust by thoroughly breaking down the symbols and their meanings for those who seek the guidance; in time, this will lead to a healthy client/astrologer relationship.      

Shawn Limbach

Do you use Astro lingo during your reading consultations, and what are your reasons for your choice of approach?
How much I use depends on the relationship with the client and also their interest in the lingo. It can be helpful to use the the seasons and the cycles of the Sun and the Moon to preview how astrological energies shift and change. Also, simply the vibration of the signs, whether they are consciously understood, can be “heard" by the “Soul.” At least that is my feeling of it and may not be true. Overall, I try to use less lingo, unless painting an image or am working with someone who is also a student of astrology. That said, probably up until the last year or so, if you polled my clients, you might hear otherwise. Too much, some would say.  Regardless of the choice to use less, the skill to do so has taken time.

One hopes the manner of use ultimately helps the client, of course. Though, honestly, to set the myself apart from something like a psychic reading, careful use of astrological symbolism does help. 
If you don’t, do you find it challenging to translate symbols into common language? This is an on-going journey, which I would say has become easier and more fluent with practice, time and age. Most challenging is when boundaries have not been established and a reading goes on longer than it should. Tiredness == more lingo.  Also, I find it easier to reduce the lingo when writing answers to a client than speaking. 

Donna Young  

When I begin a reading I always ask my client their level of understanding of astrology. If they have some understanding, I ask them if they would like me to use astrological language. If they don't I ask them if they want me to explain it as I'm going through. So much of what the answer will be depends on what their chart is already telling me. Those with heavy air emphasis always seem to want it explained, and I am happy to do so. Perhaps because I teach astrology as much as I do, I also find that people will come to me for that very reason: they want to learn more about astrology via their own chart. And I am delighted when they have enough of an understanding to book a reading with a very specific question related to a configuration they want to deal with. 
I don't find it challenging to translate the symbols into common language, but there seems to be more depth to my readings when I am able to talk about the archetypes and the mythology of the planets. It gives another dimension to the interpretation that would otherwise not be available. 

Kay Taylor

I always ask new clients at the beginning of the session how much they know about astrology or their own chart. From their answer (and maybe a bit more clarification and conversation) I use virtually no astro lingo... to a few terms well described to highlight key configurations...  to a deeper astrological discussion with someone who is studying or is a professional astrologer. I don’t find it a problem to interpret to English. And, even if I use an astrological term, I generally immediately define what it means to me as my way of understanding a chart might be different from others. I also find that people who know their charts well still have their own bias (we all do!) and a fresh voice can be very helpful. I will also say I consider this to be a serious issue for our profession. When I ask how much people know, a very common answer is this: “well, I’ve had 1 (or 2 or 10) readings, but frankly I didn’t understand what they were talking about and I don’t really remember it.”  It is hard for us to always remember how much we know and speak in shorthand/foreign language/code.

Маргарита

When I consult I try to use the terminology as less as possible, as it strongly loads a response to a client request. But in certain cases, while answering questions I explain why that all and it depends on the specifics of the client. For example, businessmen do not like wasting words, they need a certain answer, they are used to save time, and it is important to delve only into something that brings them the result. Another contingent of customers - those who are open to new information and they are ready to listen and delve into astrological terms. Such people ask everything in detail and in this case I can safely use any terms. I believe that in the process of consultation you'd better not to to use special terms, but I sometimes it is quite difficult to do without.

Dmitriy Paramonov

It all depends on the situation. For example, if I have an interesting conversation with colleagues, I talk exclusively to the astrological language. It allows me to render the thought more accurately. At such times, the question of what profession to choose a person with a certain horoscope, I am pleased to perch in the analysis of squares and Trigon and Almuten, and essential virtues, talk about the virtues of the planets in the signs and analyze what will work these factors in different areas of professional activity.
However, there are situations where the use of terminology complicates the understanding. For example, a colleague may have a different astrological tradition and therefore uses a different astrological terminology, then it makes no sense to go into deep reasoning. At such moments, I use prepared answer without going into a long argument. I do not use the terminology and try to explain why I have come to a definite conclusion. When asked what profession to choose a person with a certain horoscope, I just call occupation.
But in working with clients, if I respond to horary question, I try to use the astrological terminology. At such situations, astrological terminology helps meet the needs of the client - he came for the prediction of the astrologer. The client expects to get on consultation to the astrologer and hear the stars reply to his question. At such moments, I seemed to make a delicious dish for a rare culinary recipe of exotic products.
But if I do the analysis of natal chart for the client, I try to use as little as possible professional terminology. I am interested in bring to the customer how his horoscope works. It is necessary to take into account that a person does not know astrology, so friendly word for astrologer can be misinterpreted by the client. In the horoscope of the personality I try to say in plain language. Here it is necessary to take into account the interests of the person, his way of thinking, the inner world.
At these moments, we must remember that the main purpose of consultation is to give the customer the answer to his question: "Why everything is not the way I want, and how to change it?". To do this, I show the customer how his horoscope works, and how it can be changed. I look into the eyes of the customer, I watch his reaction. If I speak with a customer language which he understands, then I see the understanding in his eyes.Understanding is the main purpose of counseling when horoscope of personality is viewed. The person leaves the faith in own strength, acquires the intention to change his life, makes a step towards self-evolution. At such moments, astrological terminology - is the wall that separates the astrologer and the client.

Maurice Fernandez

I personally avoid using Astrology lingo during a reading.

I believe the client has no need to be overburden with technical details about their charts in a language they have little reference to. In many cases, using Astro lingo helps the astrologer more than the client, and that is not fair to the client. They need their brain empty of unnecessary details to retain what really matters.

Sometimes I will use astrological references to make a point that I’m not making what I say up, but that it comes from an actual planetary alignment. It brings more objectivity to my statement. But this is minimal.

If the client is familiar with astrology and knows the terms well, I will use more astrological references, however again, minimally so.
The reason here is that the client may have their own opinion about what a particular configuration means and they may not agree with the way I interpret the symbols, so to avoid any intellectual debate and unnecessary resistance, in other words - to keep to the heart of the matter which is guidance and perspective – I stick mostly to human language.

Mary Lewis

Yes, I do use astro lingo, but I always ask the client if they would like me to use any - as in referring to planets/aspects/houses in the chart that suggest the info I am sharing with them. I have not had one client say 'no' yet. However, I used WAY too much astro lingo when I began doing readings, and had to 'break' myself of that excess. Now I couch it differently - much more simply.  I have many clients tell me that no, they don't know anything about astrology, or very little, but they would still like to know where what they are hearing/what we are discussing
is coming from in the chart.

For me, this is a good thing, as a little well-placed astro-lingo helps me keep on track - especially if the client is a very responsive/talkative one and I get to points where I really need to lead the discussion back to the reading.

I also like using*some* astro lingo as it is a reminder that the info I am giving the client *comes from their chart.* I don’t have super powers and  the info is not my opinion.It is rooted in a valid practice - astrology. I feel this is very important as sometimes clients are quite shocked at the very specific and on target and deeply personal nature of aspects of the reading.
Making it very clear that what I am telling them is clearly shown in their natal chart is a powerful validation of astrology.

Dian Bustillo

There are some astrology terms I make sure I use with clients because they hear/see this terminology everywhere. I want the client to know what these labels really mean and apply to the personal charts. So, basics like Ascendant/Rising sign, Sun, Moon, etc., are always covered. But even these basics, though introduced with astrololgical labels, are interpreted into common language before I move on in the reading. 

Occasionally, a client will ask me about an aspect or configuration they've read or heard about - usually some current transit - I explain using as few astrological terms as possible. If it's not directly linked to my client's chart, I point out why it's not; if it is linked, I explain its specific application. Obviously, current transits are usually part of the reading anyway. Client-generated questions may cause a change in timing.
It's not challenging to translate symbols because I'm telling them the "story" within their chart. Normally, we tell stories with common language, thus I view astrology as another language and just present the English translation for my client.

Ursula Stockder

Whenever the client has knowledge about the astrological terms, I do, but usually I adapt to the clients wishes and interest. If they do not know anything I only explain them the meaning of the Ascendant, Sun and Moon and give the reading without astrological interpretation, but I always give them the Cosmic Patterns Harmonic Chart report and the Solar Return to read at home. 

I do not find it challenging not to read them with astrological terms, I only focus on the psychological side with my astrological background. 

Vinnie Scotti

I try not to use the astro linguistics to much, otherwise I and the client can get lost in what turns out to astrology 10, and it ain't an astrology lesson it’s an astrology reading.

But the last reading I did was for a medical intuitive that has worked in hospice and has had mediumistic contact with  dead people. So I did explain the symbolism to her in the astro lingo and it actually energized the reading and her in a good way. She has moon in Pisces conjunct Chiron (medical intuitive) in opposition to Pluto (hospice) ...so her Aquarius rising liked this objectification.
It’s not so much the symbolism that hard to put in words but its hard at times to put the symbolism in my clients language. Especially if English is not their first language. But whenever I'm in a process of learning new astrology material, I usually stumble thru my own translation of the symbolism because I’m still integrating the new knowledge.

Oner Doser

No, I don't use Astro Lingo.
Yes, I sometimes find it challenging to translate symbols into the common language.

Charles Jameson

Do you use Astro lingo during your reading consultations, and what are your reasons for your choice of approach?

It depends on the client. In general, I try to avoid too many obscure terms, that I will then need to explain. I really don’t want the consult to just become an explanation session!

It depends on the client. In general, I try to avoid too many obscure terms, that I will then need to explain. I really don’t want the consult to just become an explanation session!
So I might say something like, Mars is prominent in your horoscope. Mars is a planet we associate with energy and drive. And in your case, Mars is in a part of the horoscope that is associated with your personality and identity. So people will mostly see you as a fairly dynamic and assertive person.

My reason for this approach is to focus on the client, not on the underlying astrological symbology. I think it helpful to use metaphors they can relate to, and so I aim to put emphasis on everyday experiences and how their horoscope will be manifesting for them.

It is certainly also valuable to hear what the client has to say, and how they frame things. This can serve as a useful guide to how much, or how little, to dwell on the astro lingo side of things.

If you don’t, do you find it challenging to translate symbols into common language?

No, not really. I usually simplify things so that astrological terms are more easily understood by the typical client. I talk of ‘energies’ and ‘characteristics’, so veer towards a more psychological approach, and try to retain language and concepts that are commonly used. I will nevertheless use astrological terms where appropriate, but trying to be mindful not to get bogged down into long explanation of astrological terminology and worldview.

Kim deNoue

I do use "astrolingo" in my readings, because the people who come for readings are looking at the chart anyway, and unless I name and show the symbols or aspects in chart they may have no idea how to orient my words to the chart. Maybe this is just a personal preference, because as a client, I would want that information. It makes it more tangible to the client and illustrates that there is a technique for garnering the information we provide them. Even if it is too much for them to remember in detail, they tend to remember the things that are most significant and sometimes will call me back to ask for a follow-up based on an something named in the chart.

Finally, I think this also is of benefit to all of us as astrologers, as it demonstrates in a very personal way to each client the way the horoscope reflects their experience. For every person that can identify with this phenomenon, we have more support for our profession in the public arena.

Alexandra Karacostas

I always ask my clients what they prefer. Some, who are interested in astrology, want to hear why I am saying what I am saying, while others don't care or actually prefer not to hear any astrology language.

It helps some of my clients as they are also students of astrology and want to connect the dots in the life via their horoscopes.

I do not find it difficult to translate the chart's symbols into ordinary language. It took years of practice to become comfortable not using some astrology lingo, but today, it's fairly easy.

Susan Falk

I try to gear my style to the client. If I know this is a client who is interested in astrology I will talk about the astrological reasons behind what I am telling them. I find that a number of people are very interested in knowing that and learning something about astrology.
However,I have had an experience when I used astrological language and the client was confused by it so if I am seeing someone for the 1st time I ask them if they would like to know the astrology underlying what I am telling them or would rather just have the interpretation. I feel most comfortable telling a bit of astrology but I have learned that it is not appropriate with all clients.

Heiltje le Roux

Do I speak the language of astrology?
Yes I do, but for me, it is relating the symbols and the dynamic fluidity of the natal, progression, transit, solar return charts into the language of the person sitting in front of me.
After many years of teaching myself all the basics of astrology and what if means, and then being taught counselling techniques and the how to integrate all, I realised that the training of how to analyse paintings, studying history of art as a major, and by understanding the painting as the symbolic representation of what the psyche of a specific artist was conveying, was a solid grounding of how to analyse and convey what a chart means.
I never thought of the option to speak in the symbols of astrology. I will use mythological wisdom, stories of everyday life, phycology, the richness of symbols, kabbalah, astronomy, time epochs, alchemy, even scientific discoveries, not to forget life experience, to explain the chart.
Each symbol of astrology in the different charts, whether it is a sign, a planet, an aspect or a patterning and their ongoing interaction within the system, mean something so profound, how can I not translate it so that the client might get a confirmation about the foundations of their being, and how they have grown into the understanding of where they are now, and why, at this time, they are playing their individual role, on this plane of incarnation?

Carol Dimitrov

I find that I don't use Astrological Lingo in Client Consultations. I want them to feel comfortable about being able to understand and retain the information that I am sharing, and not have to try and interpret a language that they do not speak!
I do ask them if they have or have not had a reading before and give them a couple of minutes introduction on what a horoscope is.

I have had clients who are very interested in Astrology or are beginner students of Astrology that want to learn more...in this case I will make them a beginners page so that when they listen to their recording, look at their charts and notes from the reading, they can also take home a  learning tool to navigate. I find that when a client who has such a strong affinity for Astrology, or an AHA moment while wanting to know or learn more, Astrology, many times will open up a journey for them to explore further. 
I think if the reading is given with compassion, respect and communicated in an easy to understand format, the client becomes engaged and they understand the language!

Kate Rusko

Although I was trained not to use astro lingo (thank you, Maurice!), I am now using it and evaluating the reaction. So far, so good. As I was taught not to use it, it is not a crutch for me and I have no problem explaining the terms I am using. I like calling out the archetypes: I think there is power in that. I also find it rewarding when a client starts to own their chart and comes back to me with specific question regarding aspects in their chart.
That being said, I don’t think there is a right or wrong way as far as astro lingo goes. We all attract the clients who vibrate with our energy. I feel I attract those who are in a process of empowering themselves through self-knowledge, and they have responded well to being presented with tools to work with. I think you have to tap into what is right for you.

wsebrans

OPA supporter
Full Name: william sebrans

Postby wsebrans » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:29 pm

In general, as I am not counseling with horary or electional astrology which are generally aimed at specific functional answers, I ask prior to the session what prior exposure the person has in astrology, and at the outset of a session what mix of the astro-jargon and free English they are up for. Most people respond with a request for a 50-50% blend because they are genuinely curious about it, and then I check in to see how it is going during the session.

There is an elegance of simplicity in translating the astro-symbology into accessible street terms and metaphors that are memorable and impactful at the body level, without negotiating any interpretive static. The quotation, attributed to Einstein in some form or other, applies to our situation:

"If you cannot explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough," which relates to Maurice's comment about the astro-language often being more for the benefit of the astrologer than the client.

That said, my working bias that it is good for people, if at all interested, to gain some overall fluency in the language, so they can do their own self-study and not necessarily rely on us! Or at least, to understand the overarching important placements and transits, so that any future work with me or other astrologers are better informed. It is, after all, an ancient and universal language that is part of the human heritage, not a secret society code.

As part of that effort, I see it as my/our duty to antidote the simplistic or fatalistic models of astrology that many are inevitably hearing, and to provide a more evolutionary framework for the language, rendering it as a lexicon of living questions rather of than dead answers.

My professional model includes a coaching/mentoring option to integrate the understandings and insights into actionable form, and where the sessions become an active field of useful back and forth questioning with ongoing clarification. My bias is that, even without a reliance on astro-jargon during the session and recordings to refer to after, the best insights revealed can go in one ear and out the other, or get sidetracked in the hinterlands of the semi-conscious mind.

I like to see demonstrable shift in myself and others when seeking guidance, so I encourage that coaching follow-on option. While interacting in this mode, we make only light reference to the astrology, and then really only how the ideas apply to the client in making real-time decisions, clarifying their practical or creative aspirations, and fostering attitudinal/behavioral shifts.

~
A great and ongoing question, this one. Grazi!
Last edited by wsebrans on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wsebrans

OPA supporter
Full Name: william sebrans

Postby wsebrans » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:06 am

In general, I ask prior to the session what prior exposure the person has in astrology, and at the outset of a session what mix of the astro-jargon and free English they are up for. Most people respond with a request for a 50-50% blend because they are genuinely curious about it, and then I check in to see how it is going during the session.

There is an elegance of simplicity in translating the astro-symbology into accessible street terms and metaphors that are memorable and impactful at the body level without any interpretive static.
The quotation, attributed to Einstein in some form or other, applies:

"If you cannot explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough," — relating to Maurice's comment about the astro-jargon often being more for the benefit of the astrologer than the client.

That said, my working bias that it is good for people, if at all interested, to gain some overall fluency in the language, so they can do their own self-study and not necessarily rely on us! Or at least, to understand the overarching important placements and transits, so that any future work with me or other astrologers are better informed. It is, after all, an ancient and universal language that is part of the human heritage.

As part of that effort, I see it as my/our duty to antidote the simplistic or fatalistic models of astrology that many are inevitably hearing, and to provide a more evolutionary framework for the language, making it a lexicon of living questions rather of than dead answers.

My professional model includes a coaching/mentoring option to integrate the understandings and insights into actionable form, and where the sessions become an active field of useful back and forth questioning with ongoing clarification. My bias is that, even without a reliance on astro-jargon during the session and recordings to refer to after, the best insights revealed can go in one ear and out the other, or get sidetracked in the hinterlands of the semi-conscious mind.

I like to see demonstrable shift in myself and others, so I encourage that coaching follow-on option. While relating in this way, we make only light reference to the astrology, and then really only how the ideas apply to them in making real-time decisions, clarifying their practical or creative aspirations, and fostering attitudinal/behavioral shifts.

~
A great and ongoing question, this one. Grazi!

Katerusko

OPA supporter

Postby Katerusko » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Angela Tiki

The truth is that, when I first started with readings I was using a lot of Astro lingo, but I think it was mostly for my convenience. The truth is that too many technical terms were confusing the clients. Having almost a decade of experience I have a system that I follow. When new clients come, I explain some basics, because I WANT them to know where their Sun, Moon and Ascendant is. They find it interesting too. But as we move further I try to avoid them as much as possible. But, whenever there is a transit or an eclipse, I mention for example “Saturn is about to touch a natal point” and then explain how this will affect him/her life and move on with the counselling. It’s like visiting a doctor: when you have a symptom they don’t give you the cure without letting you know what the problem is, even if you don’t really understand the medical terms. There are clients though, who know a lot about astrology so in this case I can’t avoid it even if I wanted to…

Return to “%s” Question of the Month