New Moon in Taurus: Retrogrades

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Katerusko

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kate Rusko

New Moon in Taurus: Retrogrades

Postby Katerusko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 pm

How do you find the retrograde cycles work generally? What do you advise a client when we are in a period with lots of planetary retrogrades?

Kim

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kim de Noüe

Re: New Moon in Taurus: Retrogrades

Postby Kim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:18 am

Retrogrades times are better for reflection and review than new endeavors. The outer planets will have a broader impact in terms of issues being REvisited which relate to the sign in which they occur. Since Saturn is in Sagittarius, the issue of foreign people and things will be in focus, which has already begun some time ago with the influx of immigrants into Europe. I believe the strain caused by the sheer numbers of people fleeing their homeland in the Middle East, is bringing up a lot of questions, which have to be REviewed. This is creating a burden on the people in European nations and they are needing to REthink how they will manage (Saturn) the influx of foreigners (Sagittarius) and the foreign language barriers. I recently spoke to a woman from Sweden about this. She said Swedish people want to help, but there are difficulties (Saturn) in making it work as it puts a great financial (Saturn) strain on the population due to the need for permanent (Saturn) relocation and integration with the existing population of her country. There is also a question of education (Sagittarius/Gemini axis) for the immigrants, who - for the most part - do not speak Swedish. The influx is so widespread that the Swedes and other EU nations need to think about updating their infrastructure (Saturn) and creating new schools and education programs (Sag) to make the transition easier. This seems like the way outer planet retrogrades work. We may forge ahead initially, but as the retrograde begins, we have to REthink, REflect, REdo. In this particular case, with the Mars and Saturn retrogrades when the pressure (Saturn) is greatest, REactions (Mars) to the situations facing them could result in some aggression (Mars), because needs are urgent (Mars). This could at its best make for a very creative energy, where people come together quickly (Mars) to build, plan, manage (Saturn) what is facing them. As in all situations, we fare best when we can view things from a greater perspective (Sag). It is hard to see the way out, when you can only see what is directly in front of you. This is only one example of how the Saturn and Mars Rx energy is playing out, but the impact will likely be felt in some way by everyone on this planet.

Katerusko

OPA supporter

Postby Katerusko » Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 pm

Sue Minahan

Retrograde cycles describe how life's experiences systematically offer new moments in a process for us to review and re-assess. The advantage is to forge and re-align mental and emotional perspectives that serve us personally to guide our path.

Because living can be viewed as co-creation -- our choices are potentially altered by a myriad of external forces that we either accept in coordination or reject through acting autonomously. Retrograde cycles drive home issues, such as Mercury's "stop/wait/listen" or Mar's "introspective action within". Ideally the goal obtained is a synthesis of these various planets motion that shift our focus from their obvious intents to their subtle attributes gained by their shadow movement.

I'd suggest to a client to remember to be patient with themselves during this time period, and actively persist in looking for options and resolutions stemming within in order to see the source of their concerns. Because, retrograde planets wouldn't be repeating territory if there wasn't something to be gained -- some vital aspect in their existence that needs to become.

Roderic Walter

If ME is the only retrograde planet, then go forward as usual, taking notes on any major development for re-casting and re-thinking of details.  ME retrogrades too often to stop business for it.  Time should, of course, be taken to review matters appropriate to the signs and houses.

For times like this, however, caution is needed to understand that "the universe has not gone on vacation", and you are still being supported; however, with more than three planets retrograde, progress may seem like an uphill battle.

Shawn Nygaard

My main commentary on retrograde periods comes mostly from how to deal with retrogrades (the slowing down, stationing, and slow movement backwards of planets) in a culture/world that increasingly defines its own progressive moves with forward direction, leaving the past behind, and doing this faster and faster -- speed has become increasingly important. Retrogrades are, by nature, going to screw with the fast and furious nature of modern life. As they should.

I show clients that Mercury, for example, rules mutable signs (Gemini and Virgo), and that Mercury retrograde periods are best met with a mutable, flexible approach. I talk about how, in the United States, Mercury retrograde has entered the mainstream mostly likely because, before Europeans ever landed on this continent, the indigenous cultures had a profound understanding of the Trickster archetype, and they had a generous perspective toward life that incorporated its Trickster ways. It's like the Trickster is in the very ground we walk on in the United States. It's not just an inconvenient truth, but a means of keeping engaged with life, engaged with the reality that humans don't actually run the show (much as we like to think we do). It's also that the Trickster (Mercury/Hermes) keeps things fresh, disrupts established order, often in our best interests. Even Greek/Hellenistic culture actively lived with a real-world understanding of Trickster dynamics. I love how Mercury exists in the crossroads, the overlap, the connective places where the road one is on connects with another road. Mercury retrograde times can be when someone important enters your life, or you connect with an important idea or place that you didn't anticipate. It's not just a time of inconvenience and irritation. It's a time to loosen up, pay attention, and realize that perhaps Mercury's wand of awakening may be tapping you for good reason! Look alive! Then, adopting this stance not only during retrograde periods makes the retrograde periods quite workable. 

Other planetary retrogrades pertain to the nature of the planet involved, but will follow the same notion that slowness and 'moving backward' can be powerful times for the soul. Archetypal psychologist James Hillman wrote and spoke of the importance of reflection to the nature of the soul. The soul reflects, which means to look backwards. Reflection requires slowness, time to ponder and deliberate. Modern culture in the United States discourages all of these things. If one can embrace them as a means of enriching the experience of life, retrograde periods can be seen in a different light and approached with a different sense of purpose, not just frustration and discouragement.

Mary Lewis

I explain what retrograde action means for specific planets and what it is calling on the client to review/be aware of. If there is a consult with the client, I go over
what the specific retrogrades are doing in their specific chart - what natal planets are being aspected and how this energy is likely to unfold within the context of what
they are relating is going on their life at the present time, or what is coming toward them. I seem to spend alot of time demystifying and de-catastrophizing with clients 
around their fears that are specific to the retrograde time period.

Patrick Lewis

Retrograde cycles are pretty much re run periods. We go back over the past experiences, returning to undeveloped ideas, or uncompleted experiences.  It's always a great time to prepare for a big push, when the planets go direct.  During an retrograde Mercury, many people are afraid to do anything important.  This is crazy, for it is a wonderful time to finish things, or sell anything.  The onus goes to buyer, or creator, not to the receptor.  For slower moving outer planets a time to finish the past and prepare for a great future.  

Maurice Fernandez

Retrograde cycles are about breaking patterns (related to the planet involved), whether it has to do with mind patterns with Mercury, or direction and mode of action with Mars. Many people find themselves reinventing themselves with Mars Retrograde particularly. As a counselor, I find it really interesting to see the increase of clients having questions about being in transition and needing to reevaluate their direction. Of course Astrology is one of the most effective tools to gain perspective in this context.
I believe that things are set in motion during the retrograde period, and would not advise against taking action in the thick of the cycle. However, what I would avoid are the stations when the planet does not move, this includes the days leading to the stations, and until the planet gains traction (either retro or direct). Once there is motion and velocity, good to go!

Dmitriy Paramonov

The presence of retrograde planets in a horoscope primarily gives that the person becomes fixated on some matter or fact, the relevance of which is not lost over time for them. Situations connected to retrograde planet repeat many times throughout the person's life. Dancer touring the world does not stop for a long time in the same cities. Every time he arrives in a new city where a new stage is open for him, new audiences, new team. It seems that the life of an actor is like a rough stream of the mountain river. All around, dance with which our dancer comes on stage is always the same. So with the retrograde planets - the main number is always the same.

Kate Rusko

Retrogrades have the potential for illumination as most involve the Full Moon effect of the planet (we can still use the metaphor for the others). What was seeded at the original conjunction or New Moon has the opportunity to find form. It is fitting that retrogrades happen at this point as rarely do our plans turn out the way we intended. Life has a way of asserting its own stake in our matters. I advise clients to treat retrogrades as time of loosening expectations and allowing life to have its say. There is a growth of consciousness involved in this process, and this kind of cooperation with larger forces is obviously more difficult for some than for others. This is why we have retrogrades: growth comes from challenge.

Katerusko

OPA supporter

Postby Katerusko » Fri May 13, 2016 1:09 am

Anne Ortelee

Every planet in the sky retrogrades except the Sun and the Moon which always move forward. Retrogrades are an optical illusion, where the planet appears to stop and move backward. We know it doesn't actually stop. However, as in life, we don't continually move forward - we are asked to go back and review, revise, revisit. What the retrograde planets ask us to do is to review and revise the areas under their rulership and the houses they're in charge of. So we have a chance to do some house cleaning, clear out the space, and do something new once the retrograde period is over.

Retrogrades are a part of life. We all have to go backwards in virtually every area of our life at some point and review it. I advise clients to think of it as a normal part of life and to pay attention to the planet that is asking us to look back, so when that messenger (planets are often people) from the planet shows up in our life to talk to us during a retrograde, we should listen very carefully to its message.

"What do you advise a client when we're in a period with lots of retrogrades?"

In a situation like the heavens right now, where six planets are retrograde (including the asteroid Juno), we are asked to completely reassess and reevaluate our lives, so we can proceed forward with a clear vision once we've cleared out the old, stagnant things that need to leave us. I always advise clients on any retrograde to look at the messages the heavens are bringing them, especially with people or situations from the past, stepping forward and inviting conversation or contemplation. Essentially, any word beginning with "re-" is a retrograde word. So do "re-" things. I don't encourage clients to stop living during retrogrades! I encourage them to keep moving forward, while paying attention to messages from the planets that are moving backwards.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month