New Moon Capricorn: Astrology Organizations

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

New Moon Capricorn: Astrology Organizations

Postby Boaz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Greetings Members,

Here is the new QOTM:

Are you satisfied and inspired by existing astrology organizations?
What do you think is essential for an astrology organization to provide for its members?

Please send in your input by January 20th (Not a lot of time left!:) To:

opacommunityoutreach@gmail.com

Thank you!

Boaz Fyler

Kim

OPA supporter
Full Name: Kim de Noüe

Re: New Moon Capricorn: Astrology Organizations

Postby Kim » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 pm

The astrology organizations today are pretty great overall. The knowledge level has grown so much since I began studying. I long for more conversations with other astrologers. Would love to see an open weekly online 'cafe' to discuss what we all are experiencing related to celestial events. For me, conversations with other astrologers feed my soul and brain. Maybe that's just because the only planet below the horizon in my chart is Mars in the First house :-).

Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

Re: New Moon Capricorn: Astrology Organizations

Postby Boaz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Maurice Fernandez
As the current president of OPA, this question is constant. I’m asking myself what role we must play, and whether we are missing something that should be implemented in our services. In most fundamental ways, an Astrology Organization proviodes a community for students, amateurs, and professionals in the field, where people can meet and grow as a collective unit, rather than remain isolated in their study or practice. An organization also serves as an interface with the greater public, setting the standards for professionalism and ethics in the field.
Beyond that, what is also important is for each organization to diversify to some degree what it offers to its members and the community at large. Some organizations offer Astrology training and certification programs, others focus on Legal advice and support. OPA has a unique contribution for practicing astrologers, namely through the Peer Group Work program, where professionals in the field can come together to support and learn about each other. Astrologers, being such individualists by nature, can learn a lot and grow from this peer group work.
OPA is also present to support those who wish to develop a carreers in astrology, by helping with the transition from student to practitioner, providing opportunities to publish work, to present at the retreats, and through the I-Astrologer program, learn all there is to know about ways to begin a successful practice.
I will be curious to read more comments on this question and take notes of things we at OPA may be able to consider adding to our services and functions.

Alexandra Karacostas
At this point I think that the organizations we have available to us in the US are providing many useful services. These include education, certification and net-working at the conferences and workshops offered.
I think it is essential that the astrology organizations provide a forum for astrologers to share knowledge and comradeship. I also think it is vital to offer education and the opportunity to become more involved in the organizations. This keeps them from become "good old boy" networks and top heavy.

Jennie Chen
Astrology organizations should not be just a marketing machine for selling the products of a few members.
I think an astrology organization should have strong leaders and members that respect and support each other's growth by providing a variety of platforms and forums for sharing and exchanging ideas that is willing to be open minded to different approaches and options. That provides added-value to its members by offering a group and a friendship and the pursuit of a common interest.

Sandra Leigh Serio
My thought is for some of the larger groups to somehow work together so membership can be combined or, more ideally, for the organizations to be combined. I think there are too many astrology groups in proportion to active, working astrologers and astrology students. I feel most of the groups duplicate efforts and by combining organizations they would be much more efficient and productive.
I think astrology groups should provide opportunity for members to either share knowledge by teaching at conferences and writing for their newsletters and offer other services that allow for self-growth and development including education and mentorship

Kay Taylor
Yes, I'm satisfied with the organizations. Sometimes I wish we could have just one organization for simplicity (and lower annual dues!) but each organization has such a particular unique personality, there's something great offered by each one. I am happy that more and more younger astrologers are stepping up into leadership roles and hope there will be different types of events offered. Each organization can offer what it feels called to do. In total though we need organizations for cultivating professionalism, including branding and marketing of astrology as a professional occupation and standards and certifications. Additionally conferences, lectures, mentoring and social events provide education and cross pollination of ideas.

Boaz Fyler
I'm new to astrology organizations but have a lot of experience with community based organizations. That's why it only makes sense I believe astrology organizations should be more community based. I believe we are stronger and wiser as a community than as individuals, especially in a profession such as our own.

That's why I love what OPA is doing and am trying to support it as much as I can. Other than that, I like organizations that listen, learn and evolve through their members.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month