New Moon Cancer 2014 - How do you begin analyzing a Chart?

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

New Moon Cancer 2014 - How do you begin analyzing a Chart?

Postby Boaz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello everyone!

Here is the new question for this month, New Moon Cancer:
Where do you begin when you analyze a new chart, and why? Do you always start the same way?

Please send all your answers in by July 26th' New Moon Leo To:
opacommunityoutreach@gmail.com

Thank you!

Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

Re: New Moon Cancer 2014 - How do you begin analyzing a Char

Postby Boaz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:14 am

And here are all your answers, thank you for sharing your experience with the community!

Alice Kashuba
I don’t always start the same way.
A new client with no specific question I will cast the chart and just meditate for a minute or two to get a first impression
Then I will look at Sun/Moon – sign, house, phase, and aspects to other planets
Next the Ascendant - followed by the angles to see if there are planets in close proximity
Mercury to understand how the client communicates
Relationship between Mars and Venus
Relationship between Jupiter and Saturn
Then Outer Planets
Nodes
Maybe Asteroids
Symbols
For a client with a specific issue or question I will cast the chart with the transits to discover the focus of the question
I will also look at the progressions of particularly the Sun/Moon phase and the Asc/MC and any planets changing signs or direction.

Robert Corre
I always start an examination of a chart at the Ascendant. Without question, the Ascendant stands head and shoulders above all other considerations in a chart. How well we are doing during this lifetime depends enormously on the Ascendant’s constitution.
What is its value relative to the rest of the chart? If we would use a scale from 0 to 100% to help suggest a feeling of its importance, it is 80% of the chart… The question naturally follows, why so important? In one word, the Ascendant signifies “Life.”
First and foremost, above all else, the Ascendant symbolizes the physical body, the animal life of the human being. If you would subscribe to the idea of reincarnation, the Ascendant represents the soul’s need to incarnate into a physical vessel for the purpose of continuing an evolution. The soul is given or takes (depending on your viewpoint) a body to solve some problems during a lifetime. The soul must once again come down to earth to carry on its journey. All problems are solved here on earth and so the soul must have a vehicle and a platform for this growth to occur.
The Ascendant may be viewed as one-half visible and one-half invisible. The physical aspect has to do with the temperament that we associate with the humors, and the invisible portion, the various character traits. You have in the Ascendant, the constitution of the person in every sense: physical, moral, intellectual, mental. The invisible part is the mind, but not in the sense of the analytical faculty of Mercury, but rather the invisible part that corresponds with the Latin word, mens, the mind.
All the other considerations that follow your examination of the Ascendant would be showing whether the sign on the Ascendant is going to be helpful or hurtful to you during this lifetime. Those additional considerations start with observing where is the Ascendant’s ruler found, first by house position then sign position, followed by aspects to the Ascendant and its ruler, etc.
My teacher Zoltan Mason, a man who practiced almost 70 years, said that when he first started to study, he would physically place his finger on the Ascendant of the chart he was be examining so he would never forget who it was who was receiving the sky.
The Ascendant is showing how you, the incarnated being is receiving the sky.

June Morrow
What I look at first in a client's Natal chart is whatever jumps out at me first. Then, of course, I look at the Sun. But more importantly, I feel the Moon's placement and aspects can reveal a lot. I do feel that studying the whole chart, along with a Progressed chart and Solar Return chart is the best rather than dwelling on a few aspects.

Arlan Wise
I start by reading back the birth information I've just written down if the client gives it to me on the phone. If it comes by email, I print the email. Then I run the chart on the computer, the natal chart with the progressions on the outer wheel, and a solar return chart. I take a blank chart form and copy the chart by hand. I believe that what one write by hand goes to the brain in a different and meaningful way. This slow process of writing the signs and degrees on the cusps, putting in the planets one by one, counting up the elements and modes, and drawing the aspects with different colored pens, gives me a deep understanding of the chart. I then look for what stands out, identifying the Marc Edmund Jones planetary pattern, looking for singletons, and planets in angular houses. I let the chart talk to me and grow the meaning of it as the themes emerge.

Sandra-Leigh Serio
I begin by looking at the first thing that catches my eye which is usually a major configuration, like an opposition or a grand cross. Then I look at the Ascendant, its ruler, the house and sign of the Sun, the Moon, etc. I take note of any planet that is out of bounds and/or stationary. I will notice Scorpio planets now because Saturn is there and I also look for planets on the cardinal cross. This usually tells me what is going on in the client’s life and why they made an appointment for a session. Then when I am in the session I look at planets, houses and house rulers to help shed light on their questions. As an example, if someone has Sagittarius on the 7th house cusp and the ruler, Jupiter is in Gemini, I may realize that a second marriage or committed relationship is a possibility. The main questions asked in a session are about love, money and career. I also get health questions and (my favorite) questions about past lives and soul mission. I do almost always start the same way looking at the closest aspect in the chart and then I do take in consideration the modalities and the elements - especially if one is missing or there is a surplus of another. This tells me a lot of the personality.

Kathryn Andren
I begin sessions first by looking at the rising sign, then north node by sign and house as indicators for ‘where you are going’. Next I share about the Moon, then south node by house and sign as indicators for ‘where you have been’. Sharing this gift of the chart at the beginning of the reading can create trust with the client and some early ah - ha moments. I begin my readings this way 90% of the time. On occasion I may jump right in by describing a current or recent transit. This creates connection and context for the present life experience.

Chris McRae
My approach to the beginning of a new chart: Of course I work with it myself, analyzing all the usual things such as Sun/Moon/Asc placement, then Planetary Hour, Moon’s Phase, Elements/Quadruplicities, quadrature emphasis, standing of planets for their ease or challenging position, declinations for anything explicit, then special emphasis such as planetary patterns. I start easy with a client as we get acquainted, revealing some of these simplistic chart positions before I get into the main trust or emphasis as explicit in the chart. I choose the area that I believe would be most beneficial at this time due to circumstances in their life and what I see from the placement of the progressed chart and transits. My basic entrance is similar in each case but since every chart/person and every circumstance is different, I allow for some flexibility in my approach. For a new client, I never charge into the main theme or thrust of the chart until my new client has relaxed and has learned to trust me and the chart interpretation. For a returning client, I always ask how certain events worked out. Sometimes we can pick up parts of the natal chart for deeper emphasis than the first time before moving into the progressions and transits, due to the way the chart is moving. I have a lot of old time clients so the work we do is always contingent upon what is developing in their lives via their charts.

Shannon Jones
I always go to Nodes and Pluto. This gives the underbelly of the life story and helps get to the root of the work they are here to do on a Soul level.

Aubrie De Clerck
I start with a ritual of writing out in words the placements of the planets, the modalities, the elements and aspects. The act of writing engages my brain in a very particular way that helps me with interpretation. From there, I look for what message is standing out for the chart as a whole. The next step is to look at the 2nd, 6th and 10th houses (and their polarities) for career themes, then on to focus on Chiron and the North Node more in depth. I always start out this way! I’m looking forward to hearing other astrologers’ perspectives, learning some new things to try.

Anne Cantrell
This urges me to think about what I do instinctively, eyes darting around looking for patterns that immediately jump out... But if I had to systematize it, it might be something like this:
First, look at the sky patterns for the day of the reading, or for the time that they called: If there is a hard aspect, does it mirror a hard aspect in the client's natal chart? If so, that is what they will want to talk about. (I learned this from Michael Lutin) It gives a clue... in case they are not altogether forthcoming about what's really bothering them.
Then look at their transits now, especially hard transpersonal planet aspects to personal planets... Since people usually come to you when they are confused...
Then begin to look at the natal chart for obvious patterns; Multiple squares might show the person has to 'struggle' through life, while many trines may make them feel that things generally work out. A lot of quincunxes might make them more perplexed than average, and therefore more receptive to astrological explanations...
What is the tightest orb hard aspect? i.e. what feels very challenging to them, but may be automatic and unconscious?
Look for big influence from transpersonal planets in aspect to personal planets in the natal chart: Is this person transpersonally influenced, or not so much? If so, Neptunian? Plutonian? Uranian? or Saturnian? or a challenging combination of several?
Look at the distribution of elements: Does the person have an emphasis, or a lack of one element? Do they approach life according to practical earth concerns, or as a visionary fire type, or with airy thoughtfulness? This will let me know how 'intellectual' or 'emotional' or practical to be in the reading.
Look at Mercury and Moon: Will there be any impediments to their understanding what I'm saying?
Then Sun and Mars, to see how strong or disturbed the ego might be.
If time of birth is known, check for house placement of chart ruler and important patterns. Depending on what questions they have, look to the corresponding houses: work houses, or relationship houses, or family of origin houses, and what the rulers of those houses are up to. This really determines the order from here on out.
To begin focusing on relationship questions: How does Venus function? For work questions: How does Mars function? For family questions: How does the Moon function?
It all depends on what I find in that first 'swoop' of the chart patterns. Basically, I'm looking for indicators of 'core issues' that drive them, and then methodically trying to tie the story together, to know where clarity is needed.

Patrick A. Lewis
I begin, by asking the client, where they are in understanding Astrology. Are they a beginner, or do they fully have a knowledge of their Horoscope. I also explain that I'm not a fortune teller, or psychic, and that the stars don't make things happen, people do. With beginners, I start with an introduction to Astrology, the basics, their Sun, Moon, and Rising Sign explanation, then we look at the shape of the chart, Splash, Bundle, Bucket etc. shape. Then move to configurations, such as T square, Grand Trines, Cosmic Cross etc. We then look at their Houses, content. After explaining this I move to the present and their future configurations and explanations. With an astrologically knowledge person I start by looking at their progressions and transits, and asking them where they are today mentally and emotionally. The most important thing is the client, and to help them find solace and direction in their lives. The sky will solve nothing, but people relating to the sky around them can solve anything.

Mark D. Marek
I’m a Hellenistic Astrologer. That said, I was born in the 20th Century & will close shop in the 21st Century, and have lived with folks born in the 19thCentury, who actively engaged with people born in the 18th Century…The calibration is that there are rhythms and cycles, ebbs and flows… and while nothing lasts forever, everything leaves something behind. I’m always learning… listening, watching, reading, discussing…evolving…
I just look at it…take it all in…just follow the circle…around the houses, around the points, around the configurations…what is my impression…what draws my attention…

Only then will I start to pick it apart, by considering:
planetary configurations from the perspective of the basic nature of the planets
sect, horizon location, gender, being a proper star, relative power, configuration to sect leader & to sect-mates
zodiacal sign as the dwelling which takes up the significations of the planet(s) residing there, and of the events which unfold therefrom in accordance with (IAW) the characteristics of that sign
coordination of capabilities & resources… dom / det / ext / fal / trigon lord / bound lord / decan
mode/manner of how significations will transpire, IAW gender, quads, & trips… i.e. imperative / indicative / optative / subjunctive
planetary rulership to determine to what extent the planet is provided the resources, support, & cooperation to produce its events & in being effective for benefiting
house rulership to discern the objective reality & concrete events, i.e. the ways that allow or restrict the business conducted by a planet in a house
planetary combinations… keeping in mind that the mode & manner by which the events signified by a planet in a sign come about IAW the zodiacal configurations
how planets negotiate with each other for optimal ways of bringing the native’s life to its natural conclusion
the manner in which a planet brings about its effects in the life of the native
solar phase cycle… these are indicators of “how” a planet functions, & how the cycle impacts on the capacity of a planets effectiveness to bring about the significations
level of activity… indications of the number of events likely to manifest during the life
relative strength of the significations
phasis will indicate how busy a planet will be, i.e. intensification or concentration of effort
Only after the chart is fully analyzed will I move forward on other perspectives, e.g. transits, progressions, profections, releasing, etc.

Maurice Fernandez
I begin with a general overview of the chart – I get a general feeling about it by looking at “the forest”, and assessing hemisphere emphasis and element/mode distribution. Then, chart patterns reveal themselves, and tell a story, an orientation, a theme… following that I get to the finer measurements to fine tune the particularities of what it is about. But it is usually upon actually meeting the person, that initial live contact that the chart meanings completely fall into place (most of the time).

Boaz Fyler
I always start at the ascendant, it's ruler by house position and and sign position, it's dispositor and aspects to all three, to see the current life theme. Than I look at the lunar nodes and and any planets attached to them by aspect for Karma and soul journey and critical life lessons. Than any planets attached to the MC/IC/DC to see important influences. Then anything unusual that caches my eye. Thus gaining a feeling for where this soul comes from, what does it need to learn this time around and what are the possible avenues for that to play out.

Thank you all, have a great month and may the skies continue to sing to us all!

Boaz Fyler

OPA Community Outreach
opacommunityoutreach@gmail.com

Return to “%s” Question of the Month