New Moon Gemini 2014 - Problematic Readings

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

New Moon Gemini 2014 - Problematic Readings

Postby Boaz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Greetings OPA Members!

Question of the Month – New Moon Gemini

Dear members, here is the new question for this month, please be sure to send me all your answers by June 27th' (New moon in Cancer) to: opacommunityoutreach@gmail.com

“We may do great work in our practice, but every astrologer can experience problematic readings. How do you deal with clients that were not satisfied with the reading you gave them?"

Boaz Fyler
OPA Community Outreach

opacommunityoutreach@gmail.com

Boaz

OPA supporter
Full Name: Boaz Fyler

Re: New Moon Gemini

Postby Boaz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Greetings OPA Members!

Here are all your wonderful answers to the Question of the Month New Moon Gemini. Thank you all for your contribution!

But before you read them, here is the new question for this month, New Moon Cancer:
Where do you begin when you analyze a new chart, and why? Do you always start the same way?

Please send all your answers in by July 26th' New Moon Leo To:

This was last month's question:

“We may do great work in our practice, but every astrologer can experience problematic readings. How do you deal with clients that were not satisfied with the reading you gave them?"

Here are all your answers:

Kathryn Andren

In addition to practicing astrology, I am also a licensed massage therapist. Early in my massage and bodywork training, I was encouraged to check in with my clients three times within the first 10 minutes of session to see how the client was feeling. For over a decade, I’ve applied the same practice in astrology consultations. Early in the conversation, I ask basic questions after sharing such as: how does this sound to you, does this resonate, or is this your experience too? I found that asking these and similar questions early in our dialogue creates a sense of trust. This proactive approach I feel has avoided potential problems, confirmed my intuition, and reassured clients we are on the right track.
Only once in all the years did I have an unsatisfied client. I prepared for her natal session with transits, but when she arrived she requested an additional couples reading, to compare and contrast her former husband and current boyfriend! At the time I wasn’t prepared for two additional charts, so I suggested we do them in a phone session later. When I asked her if she still wanted her natal reading, she said yes, but complained later. I simply refunded her money. It was a good lesson in communication for me to confirm client needs and double check intentions before the session.

Arlan Wise

I think that the clients who have been dissatisfied with readings just don't come back for another. I haven't had anyone call me and tell me that he or she didn't like the reading. If they did, I would give them another chance and redo the reading, or, I would refund the money, but it hasn't happened. Occasionally I get a call about the quality of the recording, either it was too soft or it didn't record, and then I try to recreate the main points of what I said and record that for the client.
Recently I had a client who wanted me to tell her when she would die. I said I don't do that. She is convinced that I told her the week her mother would die, which I didn't do. That's why I think recording the session is so important since the client often hears what he/she wants to hear instead of what I say.

Katharina Westblikk

I would probably take some extra time with the person and ask why the reading didn't respond. I would do my best to explain further and help the persons to take something with them when they go. Maybe use another way to say things, maybe say less and make it simpler and so on.

Joy Lerner

I state upfront that I don't do predictions.... Instead, we work together on lifelong patterns, potential and the obstacles that need to be overcome in order to reach full potential......And, of course, timing, to a certain extent. If I do have an unsatisfied client, I either offer a free second reading or I don't charge...

Sandra-Leigh Serio

For me unhappy clients are very, very rare. I spell out to each client what the session is about and make it very clear so there are no misunderstandings when we begin. However, one time, many years ago, I had a woman who I believe was a scam artist and demanded her money back - I negotiated and gave her half the money back telling her my time was valuable and I should be paid for it. I knew she was unhappy because I told her what I saw in her chart not what she wanted to hear, I could not lie to her to make it sound like she would get what she wanted, which was a romantic relationship with a man who was unavailable. I knew I was right at the time and later had it verified because her mother was a client of mine for many years and warned me that her daughter had emotional problems and was difficult. The mother knew the daughter had arranged a session with me - she heard it from her daughter not from me. The mother volunteered (I did not ask or discuss the daughter's reading with the mother) that the relationship her daughter wanted did not work out. When I do a session I talk only about the client, never about myself, so the client gets 100% of my time and attention. I try to be as professional as possible and that is why I rarely have an unhappy client.

moonrabbit

I've created an online and phone screening process where I explain my style of work and dialogue with each client to see what they are hoping to get from our time together. I explain what I can realistically deliver. Then at the beginning of the session we clarify once again the persons' questions and needs. If I can't provide what they want or need the session ends and there is no charge. At the end of the session I check in to see if they are satisfied with the exchange.

I allow two weeks after each session for people to contact me by email with a question or point of clarification. If they want more than something very simple then we set up another appointment. In the case of someone who is unhappy or dissatisfied after a brief follow up, I give them a full refund.

Alice Kashuba

It depends on the nature of the dis-satisfaction. If the client has returned with the same question I try to determine if the person has been doing their part in solving the problem. I have one client who has and abusive husband and keeps looking for an answer from the chart. I have continually suggested that she seek counseling as well as connect with a woman’s group which deals with these issues. I try to avoid dis-satisfied clients by determining beforehand why they are coming for a reading. If there are questions around relocation for example I will refer them to an astrologer who is qualified in those areas.

Patrick Lewis

I remind the client, that people make things happen, not the stars. If they are dissatisfied, then what questions are they not asking, and what is their intention? The stars are where they are today, and we can't change them. Life is balance, and we are all advancing one way or another. They need to focus upon what they want, and forget what will happen or what did not happen.

Alexandra Karacostas

A: Thankfully, that doesn't happen often! I remember about 19 years ago, I received a note from a dissatisfied client. Needless to say, she never returned, but it felt crummy to receive it at all.
I try to do my best, and after that I let it go. We cannot please everyone, but we try. I attempt to use language that I feel my clients can understand, thus minimizing those occasional pitfalls we all have experienced at one time or another. I always ask them if they need clarification or if they have any questions just in case I was misunderstood. And to ask them questions and then listen to our clients! I believe that also helps in preventing potential problems.
As astrologers, we sell ourselves, not just a product, so I think it's important to always present ourselves well, timely and professional.

William Sebrans

I find it useful for both myself and the client prior to an astrology, coaching, human design session or any personal engagement - to ask in mail and also at the beginning what would be the best outcomes for them from the session. What would make them feel or think that this has been worthwhile...In that way, I know better the language that suits them, and their expectations. If I miss the mark by their standards - at least I heard what they were before hand, and have the opportunity to adjust the expectations to what I feel I can offer. Further, I ask them how much astro-jargon they want to hear or learn, and check in periodically how they are responding to what is being shared.

Michael R Svehla

No refunds! Haha just kidding. I haven't had to do this, but if someone is very dissatisfied I will redo their reading. So much information is in the chart that no one can know everything about their chart that I tell them from my perspective, but usually if they're unhappy they're looking for something that astrology can't answer well.

Patrick Chehab

In my experience and understanding, if the Astrologer is truly interested in helping the other, then 99% of the time the reading will turn out well. If for some reason the other isn´t satisfied with the reading then it´s either an inability of the Astrologer to connect with him/her or the person simply isn´t at the point in which an understanding can be reached, generally because of a lack of maturity and sense of responsibility. In case it´s the Astrologer´s inability to connect with the person, I would suggest not accepting any payment unless the other insists in paying for the time spent. In the second case where for some reason it´s the client who is unable or unwilling, I suggest just being compassionate and letting the person know softly that when it´s time, the understanding will come and show receptivity to any potential questions they may have that could help with that.

Maurice Fernandez

One of the issues with astrology readings is that we usually do not have immediate follow up sessions to assess how the client responded to the reading…Though in many cases, we do get feedback or a sense of it during the reading itself.
I’ve have had readings where the chemistry with my client was really problematic, and nothing I was offering made any sense to them. When it was clear we were not going anywhere, I suggested we stop the reading and I did not charge for the reading.
If I find out after the reading that the client was not happy about it, I try to find out what the issue was…Most of the time, the matter is a misunderstanding that can be resolved over a quick conversation or email exchange.

Boaz Fyler

Making the client understand what the reading can offer before hand and what it can't, is a number one priority. Expectations should be coordinated and the counselor should state clearly what the client should expect.
One more method I find useful to avoid unsatisfied clients : I really try to find a way to get my message in their hearts and minds in the path of least resistance…I think talking to the client in a language she or he can relate too is a must. I'm not talking about Jargon alone, but culturally, morally and on an eye to eye level that does not place me as counselor above the strife of daily life but as someone who has passed through similar ordeals. I always try to draw up from my own past, events, traumas or relationships that have a similar 'aroma' and share them with the client on a very general level before telling them my advice. For example, I had a client with a very problematic relationship with her father. Before offering her my advice I told her I can really relate to the way she was feeling as my relationship with my father bared similar markings. If I do have an unsatisfied client I either offer another free reading or I don't charge.

Thank you all, have a great month and may the skies continue to sing to us all!

Boaz Fyler
OPA Community Outreach

Return to “%s” Question of the Month