2014 Pisces Moon - Retrogrades Cycles

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Maurice

Site Admin
Full Name: Maurice Fernandez

2014 Pisces Moon - Retrogrades Cycles

Postby Maurice » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 am

Since we have an incredibly packed retrograde period, with 4 stations this week (Mercury and Jupiter go direct, Saturn and Mars go retro), and have are in the midst of a back to back retro season, (Venus retro in January, Mercury retro in February, and Mars going retro in March), well the question BEGS to be about Retrogrades!! (and there is more than one!)

- What in your view is the most important thing to consider or apply with retrograde cycles?
- Do you have anything to share about the coming Mars Retrograde cycle in Libra?
- Do you pay attention to planets beyond Mars’ (from Jupiter and on) retrograde cycle?
- The Nodes natural motion is retrograde, do you find any different significance to the Nodes going DIRECT?

SueJ

OPA supporter
Full Name: Sue Morris

Re: 2014 Pisces Moon - retrogrades

Postby SueJ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:39 pm

I have used the Mercury retrograde to rearrange all of the rooms in my house, particularly the bedrooms. I have a dream of making my home into a place for intimate astrological retreats and a place where people can come and be close to the earth, plants and the garden so I have been fixing up the bedrooms in hopes of making my house a retreat center. I have found pictures stored away in boxes in a closet for years which I've rehung,and have also rehung shelving units which have been stored in the corner of a spare room for years. I've taken apart all of my bookcases and organized many books, packed up cartons of books that have taken over the bookshelves and need to be given away. One by one I have redone every room in my house during the month of February! I also started a writing class and have been writing down stories which have been spilling out of me, wanting to be told. I have made myself a writing room. I love this way of using the Mercury retrograde. I keep finding things/memories that have been stored away for years and want to come out of hiding. It's been a wonderful way to stay busy and productive through the deep freeze of this winter.

Maurice

Site Admin

Re: 2014 Pisces Moon - retrogrades

Postby Maurice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Alice Kashuba-

What in your view is the most important thing to consider or apply with retrograde cycles?
Retrogrades are an opportunity to review the issues associated with the sign/house where the retrograde appears. Knowing when a retrograde is going to occur is an opportunity to wake up to issues that may need to be reviewed, revamped, re... It’s like opening up a closet a realizing it is filled with an outdated collection of items. It is time to sort through - eliminate - reclaim - keep what is useful. When the retrograde is over, hopefully a new vision of how to handle issues of the house in question will be undertaken. I would suggest that one might apply the whole house system to the natal chart and focus on the issues of that house.

- Do you have anything to share about the ongoing Mars Retrograde cycle in Libra?
Mars in detriment in Libra and retrograde and involved in the Grand Cross is a challenge.
Simply put - use personal power to bring things into balance in our lives. This might mean reviewing our personal goals and beliefs and finding ways to express these firmly but peacefully. It might mean reviewing relationships and finding ways to cooperate, taking into consideration other points of view.

- Do you pay attention to planets beyond Mars’ (from Jupiter and on) retrograde cycle?
Yes. Retrogrades are opportunities to review, etc. Jupiter and on retrograde every year. Since these retrogrades stay in a sign/house for more than a year I find them, for myself, a time to work on understanding the spiritual meaning of events.

- The Nodes natural motion is retrograde, do you find any different significance to the Nodes going DIRECT?
I have not worked with this concept.

Tim Rubald

What in your view is the most important thing to consider or apply with retrograde cycles?
Foremost, there is a long, even traditional, misunderstanding of retrograde motion in the astrology kingdom. I say kingdom for metaphorical emphasis, not by accident. I'd say that most of what still holds with many astrologers and books may be correct, but for the wrong reasons, and some is just wrong. After more than fifty years of observing (observation is the best astrology teacher), I've learned to try and not fit astrology into the molds given historically. It’s a dance, without the historical track we'd have nothing, and since much offers a framework for understanding, I don't for a moment suggest that we toss everything out and start over. I respect and am deeply grateful to my predecessors.
You can get an idea of my approach by reading some of the articles I've put on my blog. There’s a search box under the name of the blog. For recent articles that address this, put “Mercury retrograde” in the box and search. I've focused primarily on Mercury in my writing there, but retrograde misunderstanding (in my opinion) applies to all of the planets that we see retrograde. I won't go on and write a new article here. There is much to say and when someone comes up with a challenge to long-held belief like this, resistance is human. There’s a sort of fear factor, like “Oh, am I wrong? Is my teacher or the highly respected astrologer who wrote this book wrong?”

The change I am proposing is a subtle one of what happens when perspective is shifted just a little. The point has been known to astrologers for millennia but somehow a shading of “bad, backwards,” remains. A slight shift and I think we'll lose the problematic emphasis on retrogrades and increase our understanding. Then we can impart a better refinement of life processes in work with clients (for those who do the interpersonal thing). The basics: 1) the planet is nearest Earth when retrograde (or the Earth is nearer the planet, Tweedledum/Tweedledee). 2) There are 3-5 “hits” of a particular longitude that retrograde motion allows. Just see what happens when you bring those two factors to greater attention and give a little less attention to a planet’s “negative qualities.”

Do you have anything to share about the coming Mars Retrograde cycle in Libra?
As suggested, a planet may be in greater focus. While my mentor (one of several you may be sure) Zip Dobyns would say, “There’s no such thing as a bad planet;” when you are talking Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, I think you may notice at least, experience out of our comfort zones. From the “handed down realm” here’s this from Devore’s Encyclopedia: “This proximity of Mars to the Earth . . . considerably augments the strength of its reception . . . signal strength ... Wilson . . . attributes it to a wave of robberies, vicious murders and calamities.” I don't throw these notions out, but look to appreciate them in the entire range of Martian expression, that of the traditional malefic as well as from Zip’s notion of no bad planets.

Do you pay attention to planets beyond Mars’ (from Jupiter and on) retrograde cycle?
All planetary motion interests me.

The Nodes natural motion is retrograde; do you find any different significance to the Nodes going DIRECT?
Our Moon nodes’ mean motion is retrograde; her “true” motion includes a kind of stuttering that includes stations and bits of direct motion. While I've opted for True placement in chart work, as far as transits go, I find the changes or “effects” if you will, of the True unremarkable. I may be missing something but I've found no reason to delve more deeply there. All of the planets have a nodal axis but I've assuming the question is about the lunar nodes. Planetary and lunar nodes have much to contribute but one can't focus on everything.

Kathryn Andren-

What in your view is the most important thing to consider or apply with retrograde cycles
I look at the station and direct points. Where does this planet linger is powerful.

- Do you have anything to share about the ongoing Mars Retrograde cycle in Libra
Personally, this retrograde meets my Sun Uranus in libra. Energizing and activating individuality and creativity. Professionally I am asserting myself more being seen as it transits my fifth house.

- Do you pay attention to planets beyond Mars’ (from Jupiter and on) retrograde cycle
Yes. Especially the station retrograde and direct degree marks.

- The Nodes natural motion is retrograde, do you find any different significance to the Nodes going DIRECT
I have not noticed it, so would love to hear what others have to share
Mahalo

Arlan Wise

I try to pay attention to the retrogrades of the personal planets - Mercury through Mars - as much as I can. I am always aware of them about to retrograde and while they are in backwards motion. Life continues while planets are retrograde and I don't think one's life should be put on hold because a planet is in moving backward, but I will wait to buy a new car or computer until Mercury is direct again.
What I've noticed about this current Mars retrograde is objects break. My Toshiba tablet has died a spectacular death, I dropped my Kindle last night, even the salad spinner cracked while bumped against the faucet. Perhaps the message is that it's time to get new ones, perhaps it's that with Mars in retrograde I am not being slow and careful and leave things on the edge of a table where they are more likely to fall. There is also a feeling that I am slogging through a marsh and can't run or move as quickly as I want to . The weather adds to this feeling quite literally as there has been a lot of snow and ice on the ground this Winter.
Because Saturn and Mars are both retrograde at the same time, the pull of inertia is even stronger. I find I need to go one thing at a time instead of being in my usual multi-tasking mode.

Maurice Fernandez-

From what I see retrograde cycles are about doubting our automatic mechanisms and responses – considering that retrograde planets are either opposite the hemisphere of the Sun (Mars and beyond) or far from the Sun (Mercury/Venus), it seems that it is time for some “ego check up” and break habits.
Whatever the theme of the planet, it encourages us to take the road less travelled and step outside our comfort zone.

- Do you have anything to share about the ongoing Mars Retrograde cycle in Libra?

Gosh! Where to start (who is asking these questions anyway!!)
Given that Mars began its retrograde cycle on the Nodes, it added drama – we cannot overlook the fact that Putin invaded Crimea right at the time that the retrograde Mars cycle began.
From the current state of affair, these event break the old notion that whoever initiates aggression during a Mars Retro cycle is bound to lose the battler – Putin – a quadruple Libra himself – launched the offensive and got what he wanted...almost easily!
Fascinating to learn from these events.

Many people are on the edge and polarization is accentuated – the best is yet to come with the April Lunar eclipse on that Mars!

I do – particularly the stations – always huge drama when Pluto goes direct for example.

The Nodes go direct more significantly when the Sun is close to either node (eclipses), so I think there is a great significance to that…but I don’t have conclusive remarks about possible meanings.

Maurice

Site Admin

Re: 2014 Pisces Moon - Retrogrades Cycles

Postby Maurice » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05 am

Victoria Peltz Smoot

- What in your view is the most important thing to consider or apply with retrograde cycles?

The most important thing that I have learned moistly from that messenger Mercury Retrograde, is that those times of retrograde emphasize the the need to be conscious of the principle of the planet and to listen for and express that energy from within oneself. I meditated on this some time ago seeking the know the purpose for the three retrograde periods. What I got was an understanding that we are to consult ourselves in all decisions and live as consciously as possible from our core as possible. During the retrograde the outer messages are often confusing and contradictory so that living by "habit" is more complicated. If we assume the "habit" of avoiding actions and decisions during a Retrograde, we are missing the point. Our "inner messenger" may indeed tell us to be patient and wait, but if we can inwardly affirm a decision to go forward, it is fine. As Rick Levine recently pointed out, thousands of planes take off and land during Mercury Retrograde and their rate of successfully completing their flights is just as high as when Mercury is direct. I think the fear of Mercury Retrograde tends to make astrologers appear to be superstitious, and that doesn't help our professional image or efforts.

Venus Retrograde went across my natal Venus three times showed me that reconnections with previous relationships are indeed possible and there is an opportunity to reassess or get closure on outstanding feelings and issues. Honoring the opportunity to "appreciate" what was past in a higher frame of mind indeed proved positive and productive.

Seems that as part of the Grand Square, we are especially nervous about what Mars may manifest, but as others have pointed out, the Planet is in it's sign of detriment in Libra, as well as being retrograde. I feel this favors negotiation over attack to address issues in motion at this time. Threats could be made, and skirmishes (like between North and South Korea today) my occur but would tend to be limited by consideration and reconsiderations. The squares and opposition could cause the inner urge to take action to be more considered and thoughtful of the need for change - so it is more serious than a trine or sextile where it is easier to just act out without thinking.

With four outer planets retrograde in my own chart even with progressions figured in, I go through a lot of inner reconsideration of things that occur or that I need to do. Station dates have proved to be significant in terms of bringing periods or eras of my life to a new flow or even situation. My relationship with my father seemed to resolve itself much more after Saturn went direct by progression, for instance. Jupiter was direct at birth and shortly went retrograde by progression, so I have tended to question the belief system that I was born into and dug deeper (in Scorpio) into its background, history and benefits or not. The outer three I feel have made me more intentional on my inner development of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto as I have always been concerned with the inner propose or the "why" of these planetary promises in the spiritual sense, especially in the signs and houses where they are situated in my chart. For clients, I use these retrograde positions of the heavier planets to help me determine or verify how developed and evolved the client might be about the more existential and spiritual questions of life rather than the more earthborn mundane interests and problems.

Since the general movement of the Nodes is Retrograde - I see it as a counterclockwise phenomenon along with the eclipses -- and therefore a different wheel of maturation to observe. I have recently been doing much more reading and research about that, wondering why we assume that the Solar Eclipse is so much more important than the Lunar Eclipse. I feel the Lunars are not given enough attention, and I have a lot more to learn about the nodes and their movements.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month