2014 Aquarius Moon - CHinese Astrology

As astrologers we each have our style, preferences, and orientation for our practice. Every month, we choose a question about our professional astrology practice, and collect your responses here.
Maurice

Site Admin
Full Name: Maurice Fernandez

2014 Aquarius Moon - CHinese Astrology

Postby Maurice » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 am

The Aquarius New Moon 2014 question was in association with the beginning of the Chinese Year of the Wood Horse:-

Do you use Chinese Astrology in your Western Astrology Practice?
What does Chinese Astrology offer that complements Western Astrology?
Do you have study references for those who would like to explore this field (aside for the superficial info online)?

REPLIES

- From Alice Kashuba
I do not use Chinese Astrology and there is enough information available in modern western astrology for me. I do use my Fairchild Symbols and do have the software Imperial Astrology from Esoteric Technologies.

- From Kathleen Teach
A recommended book:
The Handbook of Chinese Horoscopes by Theodora Lau 1995.

- From Monica Dimino
Yes, I do follow the Chinese years, something that I've used simultaneously along with Western Astrology since 1960. The tone of these years add so much to an understanding of the natal Chart. I guess I would liken it to the under painting in painting a canvas. Each animal seems to have a destiny which will weave it's way into the life of the native in one way or another. Of course, it takes time and practice to grasp the deeper meaning of the Chinese manner of expressing these animal types. The various triangles of yin and yang, along with the elements and the seasons and the arrangement of the animals into humanitarian or mental groups already enriches ones understanding of a nativity.
-
I have been collecting books on Chinese astrology for years, but although most are fairly helpful, the material in the French publications handle the subtlety of the Chinese thinking best. I even have French editions that have been translated into English and the depth of the former is lost in the translation.
-
Of course, the full study of Chinese astrology is highly complex. I've remained on the popular plateau as it gives me enough to enrich my understanding of people.

- From Maurice Fernandez
I was always very interested in Chinese astrology, though never got a chance to get a deeper perspective, until UAC conference in 2012. I went to a talk about Chinese Astrology presented by an Australian fellow named Vic Ketis. Even though he couldn’t go too far in just 1h presentation, it gave me a deeper understanding about the Chinese astrology cycles, and everything he presented was absolutely on the spot.
One thing he mentioned is that the knowledge is not easily accessible because a lot has been lost, and that those who possess the knowledge are not always keen on disseminating it, so there are many holes in the body of knowledge. It makes sense when you see the amount of superficial information on the internet about Chinese Astrology.
Anyway, I’m personally in a research phase and observe the different characteristics and cycles. We’ll see where this leads to…in the meantime, let us ride onward with our youthful wood horse!

...and if you should know, I'm a triple Pig! Born the year, month, and hour of the Pig...Oink!

Maurice

Site Admin
Full Name: Maurice Fernandez

Re: 2014 Aquarius Moon - CHinese Astrology

Postby Maurice » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:37 am

Another reply from Tim Rubald

1) I do not practice Chinese astrology. I've investigated a bit and am most comfortable with the perspective of Western Tropical Astrology (without separating it into historical or other categories).

2) My sense of astrology, acupuncture, art, song, Tarot, dishwashing, etc., is that it's the singer, not the song. If a practitioner is skilled and "tuned in" as Dr. Leary would say, I am likely to appreciate the process. I've studied astrology in several different forms, some for years at a time, and have the sense that it's more the expertise and understanding of the practitioner than it is the form.

3) I am not sure what is included in "superficial info." If I did want to delve more deeply into Chinese Astrology, I would ask for the help of my colleague, Suzanne White. If I was serious, I would learn the Chinese needed to read, understand, and discuss the relevant literature.

Return to “%s” Question of the Month