OPA Board Members
Elected Members 2016 - 2018
Maurice Fernandez, President
I'm currently based in Hawaii, and have been practicing astrology full time for the past 25 years. Offering private consultations, educational programs, presenting new research, and organizing conferences, I'm excited to be taking astrology across the different continents. Having served the OPA board since 2012, and as President since 2014, I look forward to continuing advance OPA and Astrology to new heights.
Our past two years have been incredibly rewarding and fruitful, with new OPA programs, including the highly successful I-Astrologer, a new website, a new book, and a 150% increase in membership. I look forward to the next cycle with new programs in the pipeline, and growing our community of star people — in all aspects, continuing to make Astrology stronger.
- The President is responsible for running and overseeing all aspects of OPA’s activities.
- This includes membership, finances, marketing, by-law review, organizational development, publications, and conferences.
- Represents OPA, its core values and programs, with dignity and respect.
- Drafts agendas for Board of Directors and Group Leader meetings.
- Facilitates Board of Directors and Group Leaders meetings.
- Creates Board committees as needed, and makes committee appointments.
- Participates in board sub-committees.
- Responsible for the visioning and strategic planning.
- Writes quarterly President’s Column for the Career Astrologer.
- Coordinates interaction with other entities such as NCGR, ISAR, etc.
Alexandra Karacostas, Vice President
I have served as President of OPA since 2010. During this period OPA has re-organized its Board of Directors, held three successful retreats, and implemented its Professional Certification program. The organization has progressed in services to its members, including OPA’s monthly phone lectures. OPA’s membership has grown, both nationally and internationally. We are seeing organizational-level connections with the international astrological community, particularly in Russia, U.K., Israel, and Greece.
I now seek to serve as OPA’s Vice President, passing the Presidency on in turn. In doing this, I seek to ensure organizational continuity, in working toward organizational and educational excellence, and the advancement of OPA’s interests and mission. I will work closely with the President and all the members of the board to advance professionalism in astrological practice.
I love OPA! Working and learning with the OPA membership, a community of astrological peers, is an ongoing experience of joyful and meaningful growth. It would be my pleasure to once again serve the OPA membership.
Vice President's Role:
- Assumes President's duties when President is unable to do so for any reason.
- Backs up and supports the President's responsibilities on the Board and is confidant and sounding board for the President.
- Assists and supports other Board Members with their tasks.
- Assists Event Coordinator in all tasks and is part of the OPA Retreat Committee.
- Mediates when parties are conflicted.
Anne Ortelee, Treasurer
OPA serves an important function in the Astrological Community as the organization dedicated to creating and enhancing the Professional Practice of Astrology. As we enter the Age of Aquarius and progress through Pluto in Capricorn and Aquarius, Astrology will be entering a *Golden* Age. Supporting astrologers as they move forward in their career development is a critical and important task. Keeping the books (and gold) of OPA, with my Saturn and Venus in Scorpio in the 8th house is a fitting and needed service to the Astrology Community. I look forward to helping OPA continue to grow.
I have been a full-time professional astrologer since 2001 and started to consult with clients in 1995. Certified by ISAR, NCGR and AFA, I am pursuing my OPA certification. Collegial, communal and collaborative, OPA creates environments to help members connect in supportive, vulnerable yet growth producing ways. Our world needs much MORE of that!
- Maintains a positive balance in the account.
- Prepares a monthly fiscal report that is distributed at the Board meetings.
- Maintains the checking account in a bank.
- Pays bills on time.
- Reconciles income from Authorize.net and PayPal with bank account.
- Maintains contact with Membership Secretary to reconcile members with membership payment received.
- Reconciles income from workshops and retreats given expenses.
- Makes suggestions in budget preparation.
- Prepares intermediate reports to inform the board of current status of income and expenditures relative to budget.
Arlan Wise, Publications and Products Director
I’m thankful to serve in the position of Publications Director, which I held for one term before becoming Vice President for the past four years. I have been on OPA’s Board of Directors for a full node cycle and it seems that the organization is not ready to let me go. I feel I function as historian and archivist and have a deep understanding of OPA and its goals. I look forward to working on new publications, helping with editing work, and serving OPA in every way.
Publications and Products Director's Role:
- Oversees the publishing of "The Career Astrologer" four times a year.
- Oversees every other OPA publications, online and in print.
- Functions as an archivist by collecting and filing important OPA materials, documents, and publications.
- Responsible for the maintaining and the distribution of OPA promotional materials.
Kate Rusko, Membership Programs Director
Greetings! I have found myself completely drawn out of my previous life and reborn an astro-addict. In true Gemini Moon fashion, my background is diverse: aside from having worked in the fashion industry, I have two degrees, one in economics and the other in the visual arts in painting. I'm a mother of two beautiful daughters, and live in Montreal, Canada.
I have been actively involved with OPA since the end of 2014 when I became the OPA Eastern Canada representative, and subsequently joined the board in January 2015, initially as the recording secretary. As a Community Outreach Director, it is a great pleasure for me to read the replies to the Question of the Month. I look forward to promoting greater community involvement and sharing. I live and work as an astrologer in Montreal, Canada.
Membership Programs Director's Role:
- Keeps the public informed of OPA’s activities and developments, through the website, Facebook, and other internet media
- Organizes and runs OPA’s Membership Programs, among them The Free Monthly Talks, the Question of the Month, Forum Discussions and Updates.
- Assists with management and coordination of OPA tables at conference tradeshows.
- Coordinates with the Membership Secretary the registration of new members.
- Assumes the functions of the Public Outreach Director when necessary.
Public Outreach Director
Public Outreach Director's Role:
- Introduces OPA to the greater public, the Astrology community and the general public.
- Represents OPA, its core values, standards, and programs, with dignity and respect.
- Promotes OPA’s programs to the greater astrology community and general public, through social media postings and advertisement, to recruit new members and participants for its programs.
- Organizes and manages OPA tables at conference tradeshows.
- Secures OPA’s continual visibility with the public.
- Assumes the functions of the Membership Program Director when necessary.
Mary Lewis, Meetings Secretary
I like helping people and I like being a part of groups working to effect change in ways that I feel will make the world a better place. Thus, I have been an RN for 30+ years (retired now) and I teach low impact aerobic dance to women with health issues and trauma-sensitive yoga to those who once felt yoga was NOT for them due, primarily, to health issues. I have studied astrology since I was about 20 years old and have practiced astrology since 2011 when two people I worked with insisted on paying me. Two years ago I began doing serious astro-consulting, also utilizing other complementary knowledge/skills. My motivation for joining the OPA Board as secretary is easily stated in a single sentence. From my first OPA retreat in 2011, OPA as experienced by me through retreats, especially, has felt like a welcoming, comfortable, expansive learning place. I am motivated to support the knowledge and powerful vehicle for self-insight that OPA is bringing, astrologer by astrologer, to the world. I am motivated to support the knowledge and powerful vehicle for self-insight that OPA is bringing, astrologer by astrologer, to the world.
Meetings Secretary's Role:
- Sets up conference calls and organizes all OPA's Board and Event Leader meetings.
- Takes minutes for the conference calls, the Annual Board Meeting, and any other organization meeting, and archives them.
Nancy Beale, Membership Secretary
I have been privileged to serve as OPA’s Membership Secretary since 2014 and look forward to continue serving in this position. Working with the OPA Board to advance the mission of professional astrology has been such fun. I have seen the membership grow by leaps and bounds and it’s a joy to meet people at the OPA Retreats that I have only known as a name and email address. I have attended OPA Retreats since 2006. We are a welcoming community of astrologers. The small group format of the retreats is wonderful for getting a good grasp on the information provided in the tracks through personal attention. It is also conducive to fostering friendships with fellow astrologers. By attending the retreats, I have grown as an astrologer and as an individual. After spending my entire life as a native Floridian, I moved to the mountains of Brevard, NC in 2012.
Membership Secretary's Role:
- Maintains and keeps up-to-date the active membership list
- Welcomes new members and informs them of OPA’s programs and links, and sends membership renewal reminders in a timely fashion.
- Works with other members of the board to strategize about growing OPA’s membership base
- Updates all board members of the membership changes monthly, ahead of the board meetings.
- Updates the Community Outreach Membership Directors of new members weekly.
Kim De Noüe, Event Coordinator
I'm honored to be serving on the OPA Board. I believe my 40 years of experience as an astrologer and successful career in the corporate world uniquely qualify me for this position. I have really enjoyed OPA’s offerings and want to be an integral part of the success of this organization.
· President of All Seasons Chalice (legal entity name for The StarHouse - a 501(c)(3)) in Boulder, CO, from Oct 2008 to Oct 2014. Their mission is: “All Seasons Chalice (ASC) provides sacred ground for spiritual and ceremonial practice based on love of the Divine, honor for all beings, earth stewardship, and seasonal and celestial community celebrations.” This group has a core Priestess Training program as well as a location on 150 acres of sacred land.
· Rocky Mountain Astrologers Board (ROMA) – Recently elected to the Board of ROMA. My primary responsibility is to create and maintain their Meetup Site and manage their Facebook page.
· 27 years of experience in Information Technology managing teams and facilitating the successful execution of projects, has provided me with proven experience in communication and organization.
Event Coordinator's Role:
- Responsible for the logistical planning and running of OPA’s events .
- Identifies potential locations to host OPA’s events, providing logistical details for the board to select an appropriate venue for each event.
- Coordinates between OPA and event facility.
- Coordinates the registration of participants to events, providing information about transportation, accommodation (including room pairing when necessary), and schedules.
- Coordinates the registration of participants with the facility coordinator.
- Receives assistance and guidance from Vice President in above tasks.