OPA Board Members
Maurice Fernandez, President
I have been practicing astrology for more than twenty years and have since then built an international network, taking astrology across nations and layers of understanding.
I have worked independently for all these years, but the greater calling is now to work as a community. I’m inspired to lead the organization together with the board and the expanding membership to new grounds. OPA serves the community in ways that are different and unique. It is my vision to solidify its core, refine its existing programs and expand them, and develop completely new projects.
Our world is in transition, and OPA has a central role to play for Astrology. Thank you for your support.
- The President is responsible for running and overseeing all aspects of OPA’s activities.
- This includes membership, finances, marketing, by-law review, organizational development, publications, and conferences.
- Drafts agendas for Board of Directors and Group Leader meetings.
- Facilitates Board of Directors and Group Leaders meetings.
- Creates Board committees as needed, and makes committee appointments.
- Participates in board sub-committees.
- Responsible for the visioning and strategic planning.
- Writes quarterly President’s Column for the Career Astrologer.
- Coordinates interaction with other entities such as NCGR, ISAR, etc.
Alexandra Karacostas, Vice President
I have served as President of OPA since 2010. During this period OPA has re-organized its Board of Directors, held three successful retreats, and implemented its Professional Certification program. The organization has progressed in services to its members, including OPA’s monthly phone lectures. OPA’s membership has grown, both nationally and internationally. We are seeing organizational-level connections with the international astrological community, particularly in Russia, U.K., Israel, and Greece.
I now seek to serve as OPA’s Vice President, passing the Presidency on in turn. In doing this, I seek to ensure organizational continuity, in working toward organizational and educational excellence, and the advancement of OPA’s interests and mission. I will work closely with the President and all the members of the board to advance professionalism in astrological practice.
I love OPA! Working and learning with the OPA membership, a community of astrological peers, is an ongoing experience of joyful and meaningful growth. It would be my pleasure to once again serve the OPA membership.
Vice President's Role:
- Assumes President's duties when President is unable to do so for any reason.
- Backs up and supports the President's responsibilities on the Board and is confidant and sounding board for the President.
- Functions as an archivist by collecting and filing important OPA materials and documents
- Attends all board meetings.
- Assists and supports other Board Members with their tasks.
- Automatic member of the Retreat Committee
Sandra-Leigh Serio, Treasurer
I have been a full-time professional astrologer since 1981 and have served on OPA boards in many positions since 1998 but never the position of Treasure. I am a certified group leader for OPA and have been to every Retreat they have held, ten of them and counting. I am also certified by OPA as a professional astrologer and carry that designation from ISAR and AFA as well. My vision for OPA is for it to continue to grow and expand and offer this very unique Retreat format as well as encouraging more members to participate in the certification program. I see OPA becoming much more international without losing its friendly charm and appeal in the coming years. I am proud to have served on the OPA board these last two years as Recording Secretary. OPA will always occupy a very special place in my heart.
- Maintains a positive balance in the account.
- Prepares a monthly fiscal report that is distributed at the Board meetings.
- Maintains the checking account in a bank.
- Pays bills on time.
- Reconciles income from Authorize.net and PayPal with bank account.
- Maintains contact with Membership Secretary to reconcile members with membership payment received.
- Reconciles income from workshops and retreats given expenses.
- Makes suggestions in budget preparation.
- Prepares intermediate reports to inform the board of current status of income and expenditures relative to budget.
Boaz Fyler, Community Outreach Director
I am a 36 yrs old astrologer from Tel Aviv Israel, and strongly inspired to serve as the Community Outreach Director for OPA.
I love astrology since a very young age. I have been studying it for about 10 years and practice it professionally for the past 3 years. I began volunteering at age 16 at Environmental NGOs and have been a professional PR and media advisor for them. I also served as a journalist for one of the most prominent newspaper and news site in Israel.
I see OPA as a very important international astrological organization and believe it could play a significant role in bringing the professional practice of astrology to broader audiences as well as to younger people.
As I live outside the US, I can help network more globally, and with today’s technological tools, distances matter little. Thank you
Community Outreach Director's Role:
- Keeps the public informed of OPA’s activities and developments, through the website, Facebook, and other internet media
- Organizes and manages OPA tables at conference tradeshows.
- Places advertisements in printed media
Kate Rusko, Recording Secretary
Hello, OPA! My involvement with astrology is rather new (at least in this incarnation), however I have found myself completely drawn out of my previous life and reborn an astro-addict. In true Gemini Moon fashion, my background is diverse: aside from working in the fashion industry, I have two degrees, one in economics and the other in the visual arts in painting. I'm a mother of two beautiful daughters, and live in Montreal, Canada.
Recording Secretary's Role:
- Sets up conference calls and organizes all OPA's Board and Track Leader meetings.
- Takes minutes for the conference calls and the Annual Board Meeting.
- Assists the Membership Secretary.
- Sends e-mails or postal mail thank you notes to people associated with or connected to OPA.
Nancy Beale, Membership Secretary
As a perpetual student of astrology, I have been attending OPA Retreats since 2006. I find the small group format of the retreats wonderful for getting a good grasp on the information provided in the tracks through personal attention.
After spending my entire life as a native Floridian where I was a wife, CPA and fashion stylist, I moved to the mountains of Brevard, NC in 2012. In Brevard, I am an avid tennis player and a participant in the Asheville Friends of Astrology group.
I have found OPA to be a welcoming community of astrologers. Through attending the retreats, I have grown as a professional astrologer and as an individual. My Virgo rising and Sun and Mercury in the 6th house will help me accurately maintain the membership database. It would be a privilege to give back to OPA in the position of membership secretary.
Membership Secretary's Role:
- Maintains and keeps up-to-date the active membership list
- Sends membership renewal reminders in a timely fashion
- Works with other members of the board to strategize about growing OPA’s membership base
- E-mails The Career Astrologer to current members
- Provides membership information to those in the group who need it to perform their jobs effectively
Arlan Wise, Publications and Products Director
I’m thankful to serve in the position of Publications Director, which I held for one term before becoming Vice President for the past four years. I have been on OPA’s Board of Directors for a full node cycle and it seems that the organization is not ready to let me go. I feel I function as historian and archivist and have a deep understanding of OPA and its goals. I look forward to working on keeping the website updated and exciting, help with editing work, and serve OPA in every way.
Publications and Products Director's Role:
- Oversees the publishing of "The Career Astrologer" four times a year.
- Oversees the monthly E-News publication.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Web Site.
- Keeps track of all OPA published material and encourages future ideas for publication.
- Is responsible for the maintaining and the distribution of OPA promotional materials.